PPV REPORTS CALDWELL'S TNA VICTORY ROAD PPV REPORT 7/13: Live on-site coverage from Houston
Jul 13, 2008 - 9:19:44 PM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
By James Caldwell, Torch columnist
TNA Victory Road PPV Report
July 13, 2008
By James Caldwell, PWTorch columnist
We're live inside Reliant Arena about an hour before show time. Estimated tickets sold is 3,500 for the live event.
Merch table analysis: Curry Man has two t-shirts featured next to a PPV poster. World champ Samoa Joe has a basic t-shirt way off to the side. Decent traffic at the merch stand, with more total t-shirts for sale than I've seen at recent WWE shows.
Very tight ringside area without much space on the floor for diving spots. Announce table is about ten feet away from the ring.
Dixie Carter was out about 45 minutes before the PPV meeting and greeting with fans. ... Mike Tenay came out to an AC/DC theme for his entrance. Something wrong with that picture.
Kevin Nash came out about 10 minutes before going on the air casually holding a beer. Jeremy Borash interviewed him about Booker vs. Joe. Nixed pop for Booker. All boos for Joe. Interesting.
Dixie then welcomed the crowd to the show before Borash tried to find the loudest fans. House show routine really worked the crowd up.
LIVE PPV COVERAGE
Arena filled up nicely by bell time. Probably right at that 3,500 mark.
(1) World X cup tag match. I have no idea what Sabin and Shelley were wearing. LOD 2008 maybe? But they did have a superstar pop. This made no sense at all but crowd was into most of the spots thrown against the wall to see what would stick. Entertaining yet quite long match from ringside. Crowd was super into Sabin and Shelley. Cream will rise to the top eventually. After the multiple-man craziness settled into more one-on-one action, this turned into a pretty good match. Shelley with the Air Raid (modified Celtic Cross) on Yoshino for the win. WINNERS: TEAM USA in 24:00. (***)
Booker showed off his home in a Cribs-style video package. Trying to present him as the cocky heel, but I don't see that working tonight based on the anti-Joe vibe tonight.
(2) Gail Kim vs. Angelina Love. Plenty of Hebner-related chants ringside. Fine singles match to come down from the opening match. Gail won with a neckbreaker. Beautiful Peeps tried to attack post-match, but Gail escaped during a near-wardrobe malfunction for Angelina. (*1/2)
(3) Sonjay Dutt vs. Jay Lethal (w/Val). Dutt took control of this to work an entertaining heel attack on Lethal. Dutt apparently covering the bald spot with the doo-rag. Val accidentally distracted Lethal allowing Dutt to score a roll-up. That Val turn is coming for sure. Lethal was upset with Val afterward. Storyline match here. (*)
Backstage, Roode and Storm cut a local promo about the Oilers leaving 10 years ago.
(4) LAX vs. Beer Money for the TNA Tag Tiles. The "marks" ringside with straps looked like peeps from Booker's promotion. LAX won when Hernandez scored the pin following a Doomsday Device. LAX was never in jeopardy here. OK tag match. WINNERS: LAX in 9:00. (*1/2)
Another Booker segment aired, this time from his training school. Awesome heel stuff here.
(5) Taylor vs. Kong for the Knockouts Title. Taylor went for the same finish of ducking the back fist into a roll up, but Kong had it scouted. Nice false finish leading to Taylor countering a powerbomb into a roll up for the win. Afterward, Kong tried to destroy Taylor, but Abyss made the save. Beauty and the Beast then left together. How sweet. Crowd was hot for Abyss's cameo. WINNER: Taylor in 5:00. (*)
Announcers: Tenay and West killed time while they set up the Ultimate X deal. Meanwhile, PWTorch Newsletter made a cameo over West's shoulder.
(6) Ultimate X World X Cup final. One of those rinse and repeat spot fest matches until Kaz busted out the big double foot stomp on Daivari that popped the crowd. Tenay simply spun around in his chair and had the huge look of shock. Voldero, Jr. then grabbed the X to win for Team Mexico. One spot match. WINNERS: Team Mexico in 8:00. (*)
Another Booker segment. We're on the golf course working on the short game.
(7) Styles & Rhino & Christian vs. Team 3D & Angle. Trigg is on commentary. Match went a little long leading to the slow ending. Trigg, of course, helped Angle win with the Olympic Slam through a table off a ladder. Lots of crazy spots here. Devon appears to have twisted his ankle. Styles had a legit superstar pop coming out to the ring, which carried on throughout the match. (**1/4)
(8) Samoa Joe vs. Booker T for the TNA Title. Well this was easily one of the worst finishes I've ever seen. No ending. Just a terrible ref bump that knocked out ref Rudy Charles forever leading to ref, security, and Sting intervention. Sharmell simply counted a three for Booker, grabbed the TNA Title, and left. Crowd was stunned in silence as no one knew what was going on. I'll have more later. Just a terrible terrible finish that killed the crowd. WINNER: ??? in ???. (n/a)
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**