PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
NWA-TNA Show #21
November 13, 2002
Live from Nashville, Tenn.
By Mike Sempervive, Torch Team Contributor
Show opens with nothing. Well, I'm sure there was something. It's just that Comcast of Maryland's Eastern Shore (infamous in my writings for not providing a UPN affiliate)
didn't put the show on. I called at 8:05, was put on hold and got to hear the themes to Green Acres, Mr. Ed, The Munsters, and The Addams Family. The lady came back on the line and told me it would be a couple of minutes before it started to air.
6 minutes later, I called back. This time getting a man. Again, on hold. This time I got Dobie Gillis. The man did pop back on to ask if I still wanted the show. After screaming yes, he told me to hold again. This time I got The Patty Duke Show theme. You know they're cousins? Identical cousins. Now it's 8:15. It's also the time that I started to think about punching the wall.
The dude gets back on and tells me they are having problems with digital cable boxes where I live, and if it comes on at all it won't be until at least 9. I punch the wall. At about 8:45 the feed comes in...
(5) Jimmy Yang (whose outfit I guess left the building) just hit an Asai moonsault to the outside onto Red. Goes for the cover, two count. Whips Red into the corner hits a backflip off his chest and starts to shoulderblock him. Yang then whips him off the ropes. Red attempts a rana but gets locked into a STF. Red gets to the ropes to break the hold. Yang whips Red into the corner, barrels into him with a kick and falls over the top rope. He then pulls himself over the rope and gets a cover for a two. Yang short clothesline. Yang misses a short arm clothesline and Red rolls into a sunset flip for a two. Yang hits a spinning leg lariat for a two. Yang locks on a leg scissors headlock but Red gets to the ropes and rolls outside. Yang, who is showing new aggression, slams Red into the ring steps. Back in the ring Yang stomps Red. Whips him off the ropes and hits a clothesline. Yang goes to work in the corner and locks in a choke against the ropes. Yang tries for a dive and Red meets him with a dropkick. Red starts to take control with punches and kicks. Red stands up Yang in the corner runs up his back and hits a kick to the back of his head. Red then hits a tornado DDT for a two. Red goes to the top rope but Yang crotches him. Yang goes up to the top for a superplex but Red hits a sunset flip power bomb for a two. (Wow!) Red then goes back to the top tries to hit a crossbody, but Yang pops up and Red lands on his knee. Yang then tries for Yang Time, but misses. Red hits the Infa-Red for the win. Red gets a shot at the X title next week. (Not sure how much I missed but from what I saw it was awesome. Yang's new look fits him perfectly.)
The scroll rolls. Goldy is shown in the back with B.G. James who talks about his match next week against Jarrett. Jarrett comes out as the interview ends and tries to coerce James into a handshake. James refuses but Jarrett says that he's serious in wishing James the best of luck next week. James goes for the handshake and Jarrett beats him down.
Tenay explains the next two matches would be a mini-tournament to decide the #1 contenders to the tag titles.
(6) The SAT's defeated The Rainbow Express. Not much to say about this one. Take it for what it was. Lenny & Bruce get all their "gay moves" in, and the Maximo's get the win on Lenny with the Spanish Fly. At the end of the match, Lenny pulled down the top rope on Bruce when Joel reversed a whip. Tenay says it seemed to be intentional furthering the storyline that Lenny would do anything to become Miss TNA.
Goldy is in the back and talks to Bob Armstrong about why Ron Harris is allowed to be in the building even though he was fired. Armstrong says he only fired him as head of security, and not a wrestler.
(7) The Harris Brothers defeated The Hot Shots. Don West had microphone problems for the first part of the match. Basically a squash for most of it with the Harrises hitting power moves and double teams when the ref's back is turned. The Harris's hit the H-Bomb on Cassidy O' Reilly for the win. After the match, the Harris's continue the attack. Tenay says the Harris's will be taking their frustrations out on all the other teams in TNA.
The scroll rolls. As Tenay hypes up the upcoming tag title match.
(8) Jeff Jarrett defeated B.G. James for the right to face Ron Killings next week for the NWA World title. B.G. James comes to the ring to cut a promo on Jeff Jarrett. "Fool me once shame on me, fool me oh 500 times I guess I'm a friggin' idiot." To say the least James is intense, and calls out Jarrett. Jarrett comes out and says that he's not fighting tonight. James then cuts a promo revolving around the word "pussy" and all of Jeff's family members -- ending with his mother. Jarrett then storms the ring but is met by James. James starts to pound on Jarrett outside the ring and through the crowd. Bob Armstrong then appears on the ramp and Mike Tenay announces that the current brawl is now the official match for the right to face The Truth.
Jarrett & Armstrong continue to beat each other with fists, chairs, and a garbage can, through the crowd, up the steps into the cheap seats and back down to the lower level. They finally make it back to the ring. James brings a chair into the ring, but Jarrett gets the advantage. They both fire off punches on his other. James reverses a Jarrett whip into the ropes and attempts a pump handle, Jarrett spins out of it and hits The Stroke on the chair for the win and the right to face The Truth next week for the NWA title.
The scroll rolls again.
(9) The Disciples of the New Church (w/ Jim Mitchell & Bella Donna) defeated America's Most Wanted to win the NWA World Tag Team titles. AMW comes from the crowd to ambush the Church. A 4 way brawl outside the ring to start the show. For the first 5 minutes everybody is beating on each other outside the ring. All 4 bleed heavily. Finally they get in the ring where Slash hits slam and gets a two. Lee gets tagged in to continue the assault. Harris hits a spear oout of the corner to knock down Lee. Storm & Slash get the hot tags. Storm hits the 8 second ride on Slash getting a two before Lee breaks it up. Storm superkicks Lee and mounts Slash in the corner. Lee goes underneath Storm, puts him on his shoulders and Slash hits a missile dropkick. Lee gets a two before Harris breaks it up. Storm hits an inverted tornado DDT out of the corner, but James Mitchell jumps up to the apron. Storm goes over to knock Mitchell off the apron but Bella Donna (who has placed a tag title into the ring) gets up on the other side of the ring to distract the ref. Slash then hits Storm with the belt. Goes for the cover but only gets two. Storm goes for a Crosby but Slash moves, and he hits the ref. AMW hits the Death Sentence on Slash, but there is no ref to count. Mitchell hands Lee a spike. He hits Harris with it but Storm blocks his attempt. Bella Donna then jumps on Storm's back but gets thrown off. As he turns around Lee flattens him with the spike and gets the cover for the win and titles. Tenay & West put the Church over very heavily during the match. (Good wild brawl. A little too all over the place at times but the last two weeks have made these 4 guys look a lot better than anyone could ever believe they were.)
After a scroll, a video package airs of the 5 way tables match and the Lynn/Styles match from last week.
(10) Jerry Lynn retains the NWA X title in a 3 way match over A.J. Styles (w/ Mortimer Plumtree) & Kid Kash. As usual, there is too much action in this for me to get down every last move, so I'll give you the highspots. (Which was almost the entire match) Match begins with Kash & Lynn double dropkicking Styles out of the ring and some back and forth. Styles tries to get back ion on the action but is immediately tripped back outside by a double drop toehold. Lynn & Kash shadow each other into a staredown and a handshake. As the shake, Styles springs from the top rope with a double clothesline knocking both men out of the ring. Back in the ring, Lynn whips Styles into the ropes and Styles is hit with a shoulder to the stomach. Lynn moves to the back of Styles to try a rollup, but Kash hits a sunset flip. As he flips Lynn over for it, Lynn holds onto Styles and attempts a back suplex, but Styles flips over him. Kash gets a two on the move when Styles breaks it up. Kash double springboard rana on Styles. Kash goes for a run into a rana, Styles ducks, Lynn catches him and drops down with a powerbomb for a two. Styles tries an asai moonsault into an inverted DDT, but Lynn reverses the move into a Stunner. Kash hits a moonsault onto Lynn for a two. Styles gets a neckbreaker on Lynn for a two. Kash rolls up Styles for a two. Lynn hits a tornado DDT on Kash for a two. Plumtree pulls down the top rope making Lynn fall to the outside, Kash then hits a double springboard onto Lynn. Styles follows up Kash with a unbelievable springboard shooting star press onto both of them. Back in the ring all 3 men hit clotheslines on each other. Kash whips Styles into Lynn for a TKO and a two count. Kash goes for a suplex into a over the knee neckbreaker and gets a two. Kash covers Lynn for a two. Kash hits a fisherman's neckbreaker on Lynn for a 2, Styles pulls Kash off and gets a two of his own. Styles reversed a rana attempt into a Delfin Clutch for a two count. Styles whips Lynn into the ropes, where Plumtree trips him into a Styles Clash attempt that is stopped by Kash. Styles reverses a Kash whip into the ropes where he cracks heads with Plumtree, who has gotten up on the apron. Styles goes for a dive onto Kash, but he backdrops Styles over the top rope onto Plumtree. Lynn then hits the cradle piledriver on Kash for the win. (My hands now have carpel tunnel. Wild match.)
After the match, Jeremy Borash joins Tenay & West at the announce table. Bob Armstrong then comes down to present West with the lineup for next week's show. West hard sells it. AMW, EZ Money, Sonny Siaki, and Malice. A 3 way X division match between A.J. Styles, Jorge Estrada, & The Crimson Dragon with the winner getting a shot at the X title. The SAT's vs. The Harrises, Brian Lee & Slash, Jerry Lynn vs. Red for the X title, and Jarrett vs. The Truth for the NWA title.
Jeff Jarrett then comes out and cuts a promo on Ron "The Truth" Killings. He says Killings has gotten the job done for the last 21 weeks but that "his time as come." He says he looks at the match next week is special because when he was a kid almost every match he saw was for the NWA title and it was a dream of his to hold it. He says every place he's ever been he's done whatever he had to do "to get the job done" and that the title is his destiny.
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**