WWE News WWE NEWS: Raw TV quarter-hour ratings - what does the rating for Bryan-Orton say about Battleground?, Heyman's proposal, McMahon-Rhodes, Los Matadores, more
Oct 3, 2013 - 6:10:13 PM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
By James Caldwell, PWTorch assistant editor
Quarter-hour TV ratings for Monday's Raw capture a general lack of interest in the Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton feud heading into Battleground on Sunday.
The face-off between Bryan and Orton at the end of Monday's Raw scored the lowest over-run rating in the males 18-49 demographic of the past three months.
The segment scored a 2.05 m18-49 rating, compared to a 2.21 over-run last week, a 2.65 over-run the Monday after Night of Champions, and a 2.46 over-run rating leading into NOC.
- The highest-rated segment of Monday's Raw was a 2.29 rating for Paul Heyman's "proposal" to Ryback at the top of the third hour. This was down from a 2.47 rating for C.M. Punk's return segment at the top of the third hour last week.
The only other segment above a 2.0 on the night was a 2.05 rating for the Rhodes Family returning to hear a business proposal from Triple H & Stephanie McMahon at the top of the second hour.
Raw M18-49 Demo Break Down
- OVERALL SHOW: 1.87 rating / 1.178 million viewers
The entire first hour was below the show-average:
- Q1: Raw opened with a below-average 1.77 rating for C.M. Punk's show-opening promo exchange with Brad Maddox, plus one commercial. By comparison, the previous two weeks opened with 2.0+ ratings.
- Q2: Raw was about the same with a 1.75 rating for Punk vs. Big E. Langston, one commercial, and ring introductions for Fandango vs. Kofi Kingston.
- Q3: Raw inched up to a 1.79 rating for Kofi vs. Fandango, backstage segments and interviews, and two full commercial breaks.
- Q4: Raw increased to a first-hour-high 1.86 rating for Los Matadores's debut, plus one commercial.
The peak audience of the first hour was contained in Q4 - 1.467 million viewers at 8:53 p.m. for the end of Los Matadores's debut.
- Q5: Raw got its top-of-the-hour bump to a 2.05 rating for the Rhodes-McMahon Summit and one commercial.
Peak viewership was 1.610 million viewers at 9:06 p.m., which was one of the few times during the show that Raw touched 1.6 million.
- Q6: Raw fell 14 percent to a second-hour-low 1.76 rating for Curtis Axel vs. R-Truth, plus one commercial.
- Q7: Raw rebounded to a 1.92 rating for Brie Bella vs. Alicia Fox, one commercial, and Big Show flipping out backstage.
- Q8: Raw fell to a 1.80 rating for World champion Alberto Del Rio vs. Zack Ryder and two full commercial breaks.
- Q9: Raw jumped to a show-high 2.29 rating for Paul Heyman's "proposal" to Ryback and C.M. Punk's run-in. There was no commercial interruption, boosting the rating.
The segment included the show's peak audience of 1.663 million viewers twice at the end of the segment. Overall, the final five minutes of the segment averaged 1.6 million viewers.
- Q10: After the "proposal" segment, Raw fell 24 percent for the next segment, which featured two full commercial breaks and the first few minutes of The Shield vs. Dolph Ziggler & The Usos.
- Q11: Raw rebounded to a 1.87 rating for the end of Shield vs. Ziggler & Usos, Stephanie brow-beating Big Show backstage, and one commercial.
The peak audience was 1.380 million viewers for Stephanie-Show at 10:40 p.m.
- Q12: Raw fell to a show-low 1.69 rating for Santino vs. Antonio Cesaro and two full commercial breaks.
- Over-Run: Raw scored a 2.05 rating for the Bryan-Orton face-off to close Raw. The peak audience was 1.367 million viewers at 11:09 p.m. when Raw signed off.
Caldwell's Analysis: Clearly, damage has been done to WWE's main event feud of Bryan vs. Orton. It's also clear that WWE has to change up the dynamic of their top Power Trip storyline because viewers are losing interest by the week with other options on television.
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**