WWE News PAYBACK NEWS: RVD returning, WWE attempts memorable end to Cena vs. Ryback, Punk returns vs. Jericho, new World champ
Jun 16, 2013 - 10:10:05 PM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
By James Caldwell, PWTorch assistant editor
Payback PPV news & notes
- WWE champion John Cena retained the WWE Title over Ryback in a Three Stages of Hell match. The match, which was positioned as the main event, saw Ryback win Stage 1 in a Lumberjack match, Cena win Stage 2 in a Tables match, and Cena win Stage 3 in an Ambulance match.
The finish was Cena giving Ryback the Attitude Adjustment through the roof of the ambulance, sending Ryback inside the ambulance. It was an unspectacular conclusion to the match, so WWE replayed the finish several times from a variety of camera angles to try to make it seem spectacular.
- C.M. Punk returned from a two-month hiatus to defeat Chris Jericho in Punk's hometown of Chicago. The match, which was positioned fifth out of seven matches on the card, concluded with Punk delivering consecutive GTSs to Jericho for a pinfall.
Punk returned with a new look similar to Hugh Jackman's "Wolverine" character, but there were no shenanigans with Paul Heyman ringside. Heyman nearly got involved half-way through, but he eventually did not factor into the outcome. Punk sold being disinterested in Heyman's presence after the match, though, potentially hinting at the follow-up to Punk's return.
- Mid-way through the PPV, WWE announced that Rob Van Dam will return to WWE at the Money in the Bank PPV in July in Philadelphia. The Chicago crowd then chanted "RVD" at select times in matches that followed.
- Alberto Del Rio captured the World Title from Dolph Ziggler as part of a double turn. Del Rio played the role of Mickie James taking advantage of Ziggler's concussion injury, drawing heavier boos from the crowd. Meanwhile, Ziggler got sympathy for fighting through his injury and kicking out of multiple kick-strikes to the head during the match.
After the match, Del Rio cut a disingenuous babyface promo, which prompted heavier boos from the crowd. WWE acknowledged the anti-Del Rio sentiment by focusing on fans booing Del Rio throughout the promo.
- There were two other title matches: Curtis Axel captured the Intercontinental Title from Wade Barrett in a three-way match also involving The Miz and A.J. Lee captured the Divas Title from Kaitlyn.
In the other title matches, Dean Ambrose retained the U.S. Title against Kane and The Shield retained the Tag Titles over Daniel Bryan & Randy Orton.
- After Axel captured the IC Title, Vince McMahon and Triple H made their only appearance of the night by having a chat with Axel. McMahon wanted to book Hunter vs. Axel on Monday's Raw, but Hunter balked at the idea, continuing their disagreement from last week's Raw.
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**