WWE News WWE News: Smackdown SPOILERS 9/28 - detailed results for Friday's show; post-Smackdown dark match result
Sep 26, 2012 - 1:50:35 AM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
WWE Smackdown TV taping report
September 25, 2012
Taped in Buffalo, N.Y.
Report by Ryan Berglund, PWTorch correspondent
Smackdown SPOILERS 9/28
Big Show came out to start the show. They aired footage from Monday's Raw of Show knocking out Tensai and Brodus Clay. Show said he wants to be the World Heavyweight champion because he is the only man on the roster who can beat Sheamus. This brought out Randy Orton. Orton said he and Show have a number one contender match to face Sheamus at HIAC. Show said someone is either getting bitten by an RKO or hit with a KO, which brought out Alberto Del Rio and Ricardo Rodriguez. While Del Rio walked to the ring, he complained about being screwed by Booker T, but the second he hit the ring, he ate an RKO. Orton left, leaving Show alone in the ring.
Tonight: MizTv with guest Sheamus. ... Next: U.S. Title match of Santino vs. Antonio Cesaro.
(1) U.S. champion Antonio Cesaro beat Santino at 4:20 to retain the U.S. Title. Santino went for the Cobra early on, but Cesaro caught it and threw the Cobra to the outside. Santino missed with a flying headbutt and Cesaro hit his finisher for the win.
Natalya came out to a pretty large ovation. Hometown girl Beth Phoenix came out to a bigger ovation from the home crowd.
Before the match, they aired a clip of Daniel Bryan and Doctor Shelby from the diner, with Kane taking Bryan's order and telling him that he took the cook's beard and put it in everyone's food.
(2) Beth Phoenix beat Natalya at 5:23. Beth, who had the Buffalo Sabres logo on the butt of her tights, started with a handshake. Natty slapped her and Beth went crazy. Beth went to the top rope, but Natty caught her and put her in the Sharpshooter. Natty with a roll-up that Beth reversed into the Glam Slam, but Natalya kicked out. Natalya attempted a roll-up, but Beth turned it into a roll-up of her own for the win.
Post-match, Divas champion Eve came out and apologized, but since all she knows is that the person who attacked Kaitlyn is blonde, Beth is suspended.
WWE ran spots for WWE Main Event on Ion Television and the partnership with Susan G. Komen.
Backstage, Teddy Long and Booker T discussed an eight-man tag team number one contender tournament to face Kane and Daniel Bryan at Hell in A Cell.
Beth Phoenix came in and asked Booker if Eve has the authority to suspend her. Eve followed her in and Booker unsuspended Beth. Eve said Teddy asked her to make that decision. Teddy said he never said that and Booker ask them to leave so he can think.
Zack Ryder came out to a huge pop. Wade Barrett, who is much bigger in person, came out next.
(3) Wade Barrett beat Zack Ryder at 4:15. Ryder had a lot of offense early on, then went for the Broski Boot, but Barrett rolled out of the ring. Ryder baseball slide-kicked into Barrett and threw him back in the ring. Barret hit a clothesline, picked up Ryder, and hit the Souvenir for the win.
WWE aired Part 2 of Kane/Bryan in the diner talking about how much they loved beating up eight men with chairs last Friday. This led to their orgasmic moment and Mae Young asking to have what they are having.
The whole crew came out to get the furniture ready for MizTv as the upside-down WWE logo dropped into position.
MizTV Segment: Miz came out in his suit with the Intercontinential Title. Miz welcomed everyone to the Smackdown debut of the most must-see show in WWE history. Before he could finish, Sheamus came out took his mic. Sheamus said he didn't want to wait for Miz to introduce him because of Ryback kicking his arse on Monday and Miz might have memory loss. Sheamus didn't want Miz wasting these fine people's time that they paid for. Miz waited out the applause and said these people can pay to see his movie, "The Marine 3," the book Mick Foley wrote about him, his radio show, "First and Awesome," and pay to see him excel in the ring. Miz asked why Sheamus isn't more worried about either taking and RKO or a WMD at Hell in a Cell. Sheamus said would welcome either Randy Orton or Big Show, who he has never faced before.
Sheamus wanted to fight Miz, but Vickie and Dolph Ziggler came out. Vickie began to talk, but Dolph took the mic and said he can speak for himself. Dolph said it doesn't matter who wins tonight or at Hell in a Cell because all that will matter is his Money in the Bank contract. Miz was soaking this all in encouraging them to go at it. Sheamus said he wants Ziggler to cash it in and he might get lucky. Sheamus then dropped his mic and pushed Miz off his chair and tackled Ziggler. Miz and Ziggler doubled-teamed Sheamus until Sheamus knocked Miz to the outside and threw Ziggler on top of Miz.
The Usos were out first for Round One of the tag title tournament. Next was Cody Rhodes and Damien Sandow
(4) Rhodes Scholars (Cody Rhodes & Damien Sandow) beat the Usos at 3:04. Very quick match won by Rhodes with Cross Rhodes.
Part 3 of Kane Bryan and Dr. Shelby in the diner. Shelby wanted Kane to eat a salad and Bryan to eat a meatball. After one bite for for Kane, he let out an overly exaggerated burp. Bryan proceeded to throw up on Dr. Shelby's lap. Kane then asked for the check.
Tensai came out without Sakamoto. Ryback was out next to a huge pop.
(5) Ryback beat Tensai at 4:03. Early offense by Tensai, but Ryback stopped him with a headbutt. Ryback attempted a clothesline, but Tensai powerbombed Ryback for two. Ryback popped back up with a clothesline and his finisher (without a doubt the heaviest person he has lifted to date) for the pin and the win.
Backstage, Orton was jumped by Del Rio. He rolled some sort of heavy crate into Orton, which took him out. A referee then came out and told Del Rio to leave while he checked on Orton.
Big Show came out for the main event to loud boos. Randy Orton's music played, but ADR came out instead. He said he will take Orton's place tonight. As he finished, Orton hit Del Rio from behind and threw him into the huge WWE logo, which knocked him out. Orton made his way to the ring while Del Rio was helped to the back.
(6) Big Show beat Randy Orton in a #1 contender match to the World Title. Orton started with a few punches, but Show knocked him down. Orton started selling his ribs from Del Rio's attack. Show stepped on Orton's ribs, then applied a vice grip to Orton's side. Orton rolled to the outside, where he started a comeback, but Show hit him with a hard punch to the gut to stop him. Orton was thrown into the guardrail and Show went back in the ring. Orton back in at nine, where Show attempted a chokeslam, but Orton countered into a DDT. The action reset with Show landing more hard punches. Orton attempted a rope-assisted DDT, but Show countered. Once he got back in the ring, Orton hit the RKO for a very close nearfall. Show got back up and hit a chokeslam for a close two count. Show hit a second chokeslam for the win.
Post-match, Show left the ring, but re-entered to deliver a KO punch to Orton. He said he will see Sheamus at Hell in a Cell. Del Rio then came out and continued to beat down Orton, which led to Booker T bringing out all of the referees to remove Del Rio as presumably as the show closed.
Del Rio re-appeared and said he doesn't want Randy Orton; he wants Sheamus for the World Heavyweight Title. Sheamus instantaneously came out for the bonus dark match.
Dark Match: Sheamus beat Alberto Del Rio to retain the World Title. Sheamus dominated early on, but Del Rio countered into a top-rope elbow. Sheamus fought out of a submission and hit a neckbreaker, which knocked them both down. Del Rio was up first and he knocked Sheamus down and kicked him to the outside. Sheamus came back with chest strikes from the apron, then brought him back in the ring for the Irish Curse. Sheamus called for the Brogue Kick, which Del Rio reversed into the cross arm-breaker. Sheamus was able to pick up Del Rio and drop him to get out of the submission. Del Rio then got up and ate the Brogue Kick for the pin and the win to send the crowd home happy.
Of note, Brodus Clay's disco ball was above the ring, but he never appeared in a dark match, Saturday Morning Slam, Superstars, or Smackdown.
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**