WWE News WWE News: Smackdown SPOILERS 5/25 - Second detailed report on taping for Friday show
May 23, 2012 - 12:18:23 AM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
WWE Smackdown TV taping report
May 22, 2012
Report by Mike Flynn, PWTorch reader
After the NXT and Superstars taping, they switched over to Smackdown. Booker T was introduced to a huge pop and Michael Cole came out to a shower of boos, followed by Lilian Garcia to a good reaction.
After a video intro and pyro, which is ridiculous in a small arena, the taping started.
Smackdown SPOILERS 5/25
- Eve came out to a nice "Hoesky" chant. She said Big Johnny won't be here tonight. She said she is making Sheamus apologize and will announce the new #1 contender to Sheamus's World Title. Alberto Del Rio came out and talked about how she should make him #1 contender. Cue up the Viper. Randy Orton came out to a huge pop (by far the biggest of the night). He said Eve should leave it to the people. Kane came out (more loud pyro) and said it should be him. Eve made a three-way match.
- Christian came out to a nice pop, and Lilian announced his opponent will be Hunico.
(1) IC champion Christian beat Hunico in a non-title match. Back and forth, good action. These two work well together. Christian won with the Killswitch and splash finish. Cody Rhodes came out as Christian stood in the ring. He cut a promo about the Intercontinental Title being his title.
(2) Darren Young & Titus O'Neil beat The Usos. Kind of a no-reason match. On the big screen before the match, they show a video of earlier where the two teams were in the back. The match wasn't bad; the Usos showed nice offense before going down to the Demolition finisher.
(3) Ryback squashed two jobbers. Ryback came out to "Goldberg" chants. He sure made people think about Wellness, too. Two-minute squash. Blah.
On the big screen, Santino and Ricardo were shown.
(4) U.S. champion Santino beat Ricardo Rodriguez in a non-title match. I was thinking I was so glad I didn't buy floor seats at this point. Santino got a huge pop. The match was quite funny - Santino went under the ring, Ricardo waited for him, Santino snuck up behind Ricardo, and he won with the Cobra.
Next, Sheamus came out to apologize to a huge pop. He cut a decent promo before Vickie Guerrero interrupted and was booed heavily. Lots of "Excuse Me!" and booing. She said Sheamus has a match right now against Jack Swagger.
(5) World Hvt. champion Sheamus beat Jack Swagger in a non-title match. Sheamus and Swagger put on a great match. WWE needs to start using guys like Swagger and Ziggler in a more important role. The match went back and forth. After missed finishes, Sheamus hit the Brogue Kick for the win.
Big Show was advertised on the Titantron.
(6) Damien Sandow squashed Yoshi Tatsu. No reaction for Sandow. The match ended quickly with a Sandow Splash. The guy reminds me of Waylon Mercy.
Big Show came out, sat in the ring, and cut a promo. Lots of Cena chants.
Next was the three-way main event. Kane was out first (more pyro). Daniel Bryan attacked him and delivered several chair shots. "Yes!" chants for every shot. There were "Yes!" chants all night. Orton and Del Rio came out after a break.
(7) Alberto Del Rio beat Kane and Randy Orton in a three-way match to become #1 contender to the World Title. Fast-paced, a good 12 or 13 minutes, and everyone hit signature moves. Kane chokeslammed Del Rio, but then Bryan got involved again. Orton RKO'ed Kane, Del Rio kicked Orton from the ring, and Del Rio stole the win to face Sheamus at No Way Out.
After the taping, Sheamus attacked Del Rio on the ramp, came to the ring to congratulate him, and then said he wants to defend the World Title right now. He tried to drag him in after Alberto said no, which led to the bonus dark match.
Overall, it was a good show, for what it was worth. WWE just needs to cool it with the pyro in small arenas. Also, start using different guys more.
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**