Arena Reports SHOW RESULTS - 2/28 WWE in N. Charleston, S.C.: Cena speaks after cage main event vs. Orton, IC Title match, more
Mar 1, 2014 - 12:39:18 AM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
WWE Live house show results
February 28, 2014
N. Charleston, S.C.
Report by Robert Conway, PWTorch reader
I brought my kids to the show. We had really good seats - fifth row on the entrance rail. Very fun show.
Mark Henry did not appear, so Fandango was put into the IC Title match that was advertised between Big E. and Ryback, making it a Triple Threat.
(1) IC champion Big E. beat Ryback and Fandango to retain the Intercontinental Title. Good match. Fandango bailed at the bell and let the big guys lock up, then later did the heel team-up on Big E. Whenever he or Ryback went for a cover, there would be a bit of action between the heels. Eventually, it cost them the match, as the champion pinned the dancer.
(2) Tyson Kidd beat Curtis Axel. Another good match, Axel concentrated on Kidd's neck and Tyson got some nice spots. A really annoying "USA" chant kept starting up in support of Kidd before he took the match.
(3) Alberto Del Rio beat Sin Cara. Great work, including an extended handshake tease that eventually had the masked man dropkicking a kneeling Del Rio. Del Rio accidentally got Sin Cara's mask all the way off while teasing unmasking him in the Tree of Woe. Del Rio finished strong for the win.
(4) Rhodes Bros. (Cody Rhodes & Goldust) beat Real Americans (Cesaro & Jack Swagger w/Zeb Colter). Zeb started off drawing heat for "mistaking" which Carolina he was in, then fed the impending break-up of his team with denials. The brothers were on point; lots of drawn out isolations and hot tags. Everybody got their spots in cleanly before Cody got the pin.
(5) Wade Barrett beat The Miz. Miz and Bad News did the American vs. Foreigner bit, with the only weak point being Wade almost giving Miz a Wasteland before awkwardly backing off it. Barrett eventually overpowered Miz for the win.
Next, the ladies did their thing. We got to vote between dance-off and tag match, and somehow the dance-off won. I very much appreciated Aksana's outfit, the Bellas won a dance-off, and the post-dance fight was award with a badly-timed mirror spot. It was probably a good thing that the match never happened.
(6) WWE World Hvt. champion Randy Orton beat John Cena in a steel cage match to retain the WWE World Title. Big cage main event. Cena came out moving gingerly, but still worked well. "Let's Go Cena!" completely dominated; maybe three guys were doing the opposing chant. It was a very babyface crowd. Obviously, the Viper eventually slithered out of the cage, but Orton took an AA anyways when he tried to finish off Cena with a chair.
Once Cena ran off Orton, Cena apologized for what he thought was a weak performance (I didn't think it was). Cena claimed that the injury from Monday was actually a severe groin issue. He said he is definitely hurting, and probably should be resting, but we appreciated the show.
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**