Arena Reports SHOW RESULTS - 1/11 WWE in Glens Falls, N.Y.: Second Detailed Report on Punk vs. Shield main event, disappointing Bryan vs. Bray cage presentation, NXT talent, more
Jan 11, 2014 - 10:34:14 PM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
WWE Live house show results
January 11, 2014
Glens Falls, N.Y.
Report by Joe Napoli, PWTorch correspondent
The cool thing about the Glens Falls Civic Center is that wrestlers have to park in open in front of fans. Some notes before the show:
The Usos traveled with Roman Reigns, who appeared to be limping when he stepped out of car. Miz signed autographs and posed with lots fans before the event.
(1) R-Truth (w/hometown mascot) beat Fandango (w/Summer Rae). Truth's "wassup" chant was super over with the crowd. Lots of comedy spots and dancing. Fun opener. Truth won the match and Rae came into the ring after to protest, and was smooched by the mascot. He and Truth danced the night away afterwards.
(2) Alexander Rusev from NXT beat Justin Gabriel via submission. Rusev worked stiff and there was almost a bad landing when he attempted a back suplex. Awkward match. Rusev played a lot to the crowd and managed to get some decent heat. They worked hard, but an eight-minute back and forth match didn't play to Rusev's strengths. He won with a Camel Clutch.
Damien Sandow cut a video promo about taking on Big E. Langston. Typical heel promo that made the crowd hate him even more. Good stuff.
(3) Natalya & Emma from NXT beat Divas champion A.J. Lee & Tamina in a tag match. Emma tried to get over her Emma dance before the match, and crowd didn't really get it. Sadly, there was a "We Want Puppies" chant during the match. Pretty disappointing match, though Emma did manage to get herself over. Natalya got the win on Tamina with a Sharpshooter. Emma and Natalya did the Emma dance with her music playing after the match.
(4) IC champion Big E. Langston beat Damien Sandow to retain the Intercontinental Title. Sandow got some extra heat by cutting a promo on the way to the ring. Sandow played the chicken heel and Langston was more over than I figured he would be. Good back and forth house show match. Big Ending for the win.
(5) The Usos beat The Wyatts (Luke Harper & Erick Rowan). The "Usos" chant was pretty over. They hit a splash onto Harper for the win. Really good match. Lots of action and good pace to this PPV-quality match. Usos deserve credit for getting over big in last year.
(6) "Bad News" Barrett beat The Miz. Barrett did his normal routine before the match, and Miz hyped the U.S. as the greatest country in the world. Lots is "USA!" chants in a decent match. Barrett won with the Bullhammer. The crowd was into this match, and the Bad News gimmick seemed to work with the live audience.
Next was Bray Wyatt vs. Daniel Bryan in a Cage match. A video package was shown explaining the feud. Bryan came down to his music but with none of the usual affectations. Wyatt gave some convoluted explanation of how the match should go. Wyatt told him to lay down and the crowd chanted "No!" After a bunch of gaga the match started.
(7) Bray Wyatt beat Daniel Bryan in a cage match. Short cluster match. The Usos then saved Bryan from a gang beating. Then, the Wyatt Family beat up the Usos while Bryan watched. Bryan eventually left with the Usos. Most disappointing thing I've witnessed after 15 or so WWE live events in last 20 years, besides maybe when Ultimate Warrior no-showed an event when I was a kid and was replaced with Sid. Not the best way to utilize the most over guy at the event.
(Simple solution: at the opening of show, Bryan cuts a video promo saying he has broken the Wyatt spell. They have normal 10-minute match with Bryan entrance and spots, and then Wyatts break into cage and win the match. That way fans get to see Daniel Bryan the way they love him and it still keeps true to storyline.)
(8) C.M. Punk beat The Shield in a handicap match. Very fun match, with lots of double moves by Punk. Punk hit the GTS on Ambrose for the win.
Good night overall, except for Bryan "match." I would recommend this tour to anyone who doesn't care about a bad Bryan match, because it was a tight show, with good matches, especially the main event and Usos vs. Wyatts.
Attendance: around 2,800 out of 4,000. ... Biggest Pops: Punk and Big E. ... Heat: Damien Sandow. ... Notes: Lots of video packages for WWE Network.
Afterward, Barrett, Bray Wyatt, and Fandango rode together. Big E. rode with Luke Harper. Also, Natalya, Emma, and Summer rode together. Big E. and Natalya signed some autographs after the show.
Anyone interested in seeing pics of event, can find some good ones @BadBoiCasey.
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**