Arena Reports SHOW RESULTS - 7/11 ROH "Night of Hoopla" in Chicago: Truth Martini presents random matches & out-of-character moments, plus Savage vs. Warrior re-creation
Jul 12, 2013 - 1:11:23 AM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
ROH "Night of Hoopla" show results
July 11, 2013
Report by Basil Mahmud, PWTorch correspondent
Truth Martini started off the night by welcoming everyone to "Night of Hoopla." He was the guest announcer for all the matches tonight.
(1) ROH TV champion Matt Taven beat Eddie Edwards and Adam Cole in a three-way non-title match. This match started off the night as funny with Cole and Edwards doing the Code to everyone around ringside and then a bunch of fans around the crowd. The Hoopla Hotties also had a lot of fun interacting with the crowd. At the end of the match, the crowd was chanting "Eiffel Tower" at one of the Hoopla Hotties. Taven ended up getting the pinfall over Edwards. Eddie and Adam did the Eiffel Tower move in the ring again after the match. Hilarious stuff.
- Jimmy Jacobs preformed a few of his songs. One of the fans chanted "Uncle Jesse" at Jacobs, so Jessie did a line from a song from "Full House." Again, another funny moment that wouldn't happen on a normal show.
(2) "King Machismo" Jay Lethal (w/Sensational Sherri) beat Delirious with Maria as special guest referee. Machismo and Sherri come out on a rolling pallet to the ring. And then Lethal cut a promo on the "Warrior" before Delirious came out. Then, they re-created the entire Macho Man vs. The Ultimate Warrior retirement match from WrestleMania. They did everything from the five elbow drops to the three clotheslines out of the ring. The only thing they changed was having Lethal do a schoolboy roll-up at the end to get the win.
After the match, Lethal started to call Maria "Liz" or "Elizabet" (yes, "Elizabet" with no "h"), and then he preposed to her. She said "no" the first time because she's only with Mike Bennett. But, Lethal proposed a second time and she said "yes" before Bennett grabbed her and took her away.
- Next was a Hoopla Hottie "Take Your Pants Off Dance-Off." A bunch of the Hooplas came out and "Judge" Jeff Jones was the judge for the contest. All of the Hooplas started to take their pants off and dance on poles and with the crowd. Right before Judge announced the winner, Davey Richards came out and talked about how ROH was built on wrestling, not dancing. He then talked about Samoa Joe, Bryan Danielson, and C.M. Punk. He then said there is only one thing to do...hit the music. And Davey's personality went crazy! He started humping the ropes and grinding up on the Hooplahs and making out with them. The Judge awarded Davey as the winner of the Dance-off.
Silas Young then interrupted the celebration to start their match.
(3) Davey Richards beat Silas Young in a "Lumberjill" match. Silas spent a lot of the beginning of the match outside of the ring. So, Truth Martini said they need to have a Lumberjill match, which led to a bunch of dudes dressed up in drag coming out to a "This is Awkward" chant from the crowd. Davey and Silas did a new "Code of Honor" when the Lumberjills came out to protect each other. They eventually had a good back and forth match with Davey winning by Anklelock.
[ Intermission featured a band called the "Beach Bum Alcoholics," which consisted of random swearing with acoustic guitars. They got boo'd off stage at the end. ]
(4) ROH tag team champions reDRagon beat Roderick Strong & Cheeseburger. Probably the most "normal" match of the night, the crowd was behind Cheeseburger the entire match. There were some good spots that kept the crowd into the entire match.
- Truth Martini introduced "The Devil" to the crowd. An okay segment, but very weird with a bunch of yelling and the Hooplhs beating up him up and getting his pants taken off.
(5) Michael Elgin & B.J. Whitmer & MsChif beat A.C.H. & Tadarius Thomas & Athena in a six-person tag match. So many crazy, hilarious spots in this match, and a lot of the inter-gender action was really good. During the match, Elgin had a dance-off against A.C.H. and Thomas. Elgin even did the worm in the middle of ring. There were a lot of spots where A.C.H. was scared of MsChif and would run screaming away from her when she screamed. Then, whenever there was spot with Elgin and Athena, MsChif would get upset and pull the wife routine. A lot of great action between the two teams. Then final spot had Elgin making out with MsChif and then turning around and spitting a Green Mist in Thomas's face for the win. Great match to end a crazy night!
Overall, the night was awesome and no one knew what to expect. The crowd was into all the matches and laughing the entire night. Everyone breaking character just a little bit made the night special. The weird booking worked and everyone seemed to have a great night.
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**