Arena Reports 5/25 PWG results Reseda, Calif.: Second detailed report on Generico vs. Ricochet main event, Steen title defense, new PWG tag champs
May 27, 2012 - 12:35:26 AM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
Pro Wrestling Guerrilla (PWG) results
May 25, 2012
Report by Nick Morris, PWTorch reader
(1) B-Boy beat Famous B. Decent opener with a slow pace, but it was okay. The audience could hear and see spots called; they just aren't on the level of most of the others on the show.
(2) T.J. Perkins beat Ryan Taylor. Solid match that got the crowd hot. Taylor was out wearing an L.A. Kings scarf for a cheap pop. As expected, a crisp, well-wrestled match.
(3) PWG champion Kevin Steen beat Brian Cage Taylor to retain the PWG Title. Steen was on early because he had to catch a red-eye flight. Steen played to the crowd a lot and poked fun at his physique compared to Taylor's. I can't believe Taylor doesn't have a WWE contract yet. Slower, physical pace to the whole match. Cage was on offense for three-fourths of the match. Steen reversed a BCT pinfall attempt for the win, keeping Cage looking strong. Steen grabbed the mic after and put over Cage afterward.
(4) Super Smash Bros. beat Young Bucks in a No DQ match to capture the vacant PWG Tag Titles. Excalibur announced earlier that because Super Dragon is out indefinitly with a heel injury, the match would be No DQ for the tag straps. Insane start to the match. The first ten minutes were all insane spots on the outside. Finally, the match moved inside the ring. Chaos continued inside. The crowd was at its hottest for this match. Another ten or so minutes and two ref bumps later, SSM hit their finisher to become the new tag champs.
(5) RockNES Monsters & Candice LeRae beat "Pretty" Peter Avalon & Ray Rosas & Joey Ryan (who appeared on TNA's Gut Check Thursday). Joey cut a promo on his TNA Impact appearance to begin. He said he wants to be called ''trending'' Joey Ryan. Decent match, but the crowd was still worn out from the Tag Title match. RockNES and Candice eventually got the win.
(6) Willie Mack beat Michael Elgin, who made his PWG debut. These are two huge guys. Great, hard-hitting, physical match. A lot of amazing displays of strength, suplexes, powerbombs, and slams. It sounds crazy, but there was an awesome shoulder tackle spot at the begining. Willie Mack ended up gettting the win.
(7) El Generico beat Ricochet in a grudge match main event. The crowd was hot for Generico. Amazing match. So crisp, fast, sharp. It was my first time seeing Ricochet - he's great. They teased Generico's brainbuster off the top for almost five minutes until he finally hit it for the win. Great sequence. Match of the night.
Overall, a great show. Comedy, high spots/stunt bumps, physicality, chain wrestling. The show had it all.
[Torch art credit Marco D'Alfonso (c) PWTorch.com]
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**