Arena Reports 3/9 PWS results Rahway, N.J.: Packed indy show - Cabana vs. Callihan main event, Lethal, Angelina Love, Godfather, Ion, Hardy, Powers of Pain, Jannetty, Sid no-shows, Lynn teases retirement
Mar 10, 2012 - 12:26:18 AM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
Pro Wrestling Syndicate results
March 9, 2012
Report by Mike Omansky, PWTorch correspondent
Estimated crowd was 700. (Note: substantially larger crowd than TNA drew this past fall in the same building.) An autograph session started two hours before the show. The wrestling show itself lasted four hours, including intermission. The show started at 8:15 p.m. and ended at 12:15 a.m. The return date was announced for Friday, May 4 with an appearance by Bret Hart. A match announced is Teddy Hart vs. Matt Hardy.
To begin the show, the co-promoter came out and announced one wrestler did not meet his commitment to appear, even though he had a plane ticket for a 6:00 a.m. flight. The wrestler was Psycho Sid, and Sid called at 10:00 a.m. to say that he lost his wallet and couldn’t make the trip. The promoter called Sid from the ring so fans could leave a message on what they thought (jeers, of course). He then gave out Sid's phone number to anyone who wanted to call. The promoter added that there were two additions to the show to replace Sid not showing: Jay Lethal and Balls Mahoney.
(1) Balls Mahoney beat Marty Jannetty with a roll-up and pin. Short, good match, but awkward finish; something was wrong with Mahoney. After the match, he vomited from the ring.
(2) Brett Gakiya beat C.J. Esparza with a double flip off the ropes and pin. Excellent battle between two regular tag team partners.
- PWS champion Sami Calihan came out. He was interrupted by Kevin Matthews, who wanted to know why Colt Cabana was coming in to get a title match, but Matthews, who has been here, wasn’t getting one. Shockmaster, the special guest commissioner, came out and said that Matthews was not getting a title match; he would have a match right now.
(3) Eddie Kingston beat Kevin Matthews via DQ due to outside interference by a man in a white mask. The match was quick-paced. Prior to the finish, Kingston was dominating.
(4) Anthony Nese beat Alex Reynolds to retain the PWS Tri-State Title. Nese won with a flip off the top rope and pin.
(5) Four local tag teams appeared in a four-way tag match. Pretty decent.
(6) Matt Hardy beat Jay Lethal. Hardy pinned Lethal after a neckbreaker in a lively match. Lethal spent the first half of the match pretending to be Psycho Sid, who he replaced, then did Ric Flair and, finally, Randy Savage. Great moves by Lethal, who carried the match.
(7) Amazing Red won a six-way elimination match to become #1 contender to the Tri-State Title. He pinned AR Fox to end the match. Also in the match were Brian XL, Devon Moore, Gran Akuma, and TNA wrestler Zema Ion.
(8) One Warrior Nation beat Smith James with a big splash and a pin. It was a match that was so bad, that it was enjoyable.
(9) PWS tag champions The Lone Rangers vs. Powers of Pain (Warlord & Barbarian) went to a No Contest. The Powers demolished their two opponents, kicked the ref in the stomach, and threw him from the ring for the non-finish. Powers of Pain were very impressive. Loads of power moves, and a one-sided match that the crowd loved. Most fun match of the night.
(10) Dan Maff beat Jerry Lynn with an awkward pin. Maff was injured, and there was a five-minute break while he was being attended to and helped out. Lynn then announced that this would be his final year wrestling.
(11) The Sheik beat Masada (w/Ox Baker) in a No Holds Narred Match. The match went around the arena and saw Sheik use a piece of metal to bloody up Masada. For the finish, after continuously ramming the metal into Masada’s head, Sheik threw a fireball and scored a pin.
- The Godfather came out and did the "Ho Train" routine, and introduced the guest ring announcer for the following women’s match: Angelina Love. He then introduced special guest referee Shelly Martinez (Ariel). Of note, Godfather had appeared as Papa Shango during an autograph session.
(12) Reby Sky beat Brittney Savage and Spyra Andover in a triple threat match. Sky pinned Spyra.
(13) Sami Callihan beat Colt Cabana via submission to retain the PWS Title. Callihan won with a leg submission/tap-out. Very good match. Excellent moves by Cabana, who was entertaining as always, but also exhibited good wrestling.
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**