Arena Reports 8/20 PWG results in Reseda, Calif.: BOLA tournament winner, Young Bucks not shaking hands turned into angle, Tag Title match, Finlay debuts
Aug 21, 2011 - 2:08:45 AM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2011 results
August 20, 2011
Report by Matt Massingham, PWTorch correspondent
Saturday night, Pro Wrestling Guerrilla held its seventh annual Battle of Los Angeles tournament in a one-night, single-elimination format. PWG also featured PWG tag champions Young Bucks in a segment playing off Booker T's criticism this week for not shaking hands at the Smackdown TV tapings Tuesday in California.
(1) Willie Mack beat Chris Hero with a backslide in a First Round BOLA tournament match. Great opener and hard-hitting match.
(2) PWG champion Kevin Steen beat Finlay via submission with the Sharpshooter in a First Round BOLA tournament match. Shorter match than expected in Finlay's PWG debut.
(3) El Generico beat Claudio Castagnoli in a First Round BOLA tournament match. Generico countered a top-rope Ricola Bomb with a huracanrana into a jackknife pin. Good match.
(4) Eddie Edwards beat Roderick Strong in a First Round BOLA tournament match. It was a battle of recent ROH World champions with Edwards winning via roll-up. Another good match.
(5) Joey Ryan & Scorpio Sky beat RockNES Monsters in a #1 contender match to the PWG Tag Titles. Joey cut a pre-match promo about the Young Bucks not shaking hands and Mark Henry scaring him at Summerslam.
After the match, the Bucks ran out and talked about not shaking hands, leading to the Kings of Wrestling challenging them to a match later in the show.
(6) El Generico beat Willie Mack in a Semi-Final BOLA tournament match.
(7) PWG champion Kevin Steen beat Eddie Edwards via submission in a Semi-Final BOLA tournament match. So, the finals was set up as Generico vs. Steen, resuming their 2010 ROH feud.
(8) PWG tag champions Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson) beat Kings of Wrestling (Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli) to retain the PWG Tag Titles. The Bucks retained via roll-up. Over-kill on the roll-up finishes and eye-pokes on this show.
(9) El Generico beat PWG champion Kevin Steen in the Finals of the BOLA tournament to win the Battle of Los Angeles tournament. Generico won with a brainbuster on the ring apron.
-- The next show is September 10 featuring Young Bucks vs. Joey Ryan & Scorpio Sky for the PWG Tag Titles. Also announced were PWG champion Kevin Steen, Rocky Romero, T.J. Perkins, ROH World champion Davey Richards, and Super Smash Brothers.
[Torch art credit Marco D'Alfonso (c) PWTorch.com]
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**