Arena Reports 6/11 TNA results in Memphis, Tenn.: Sting vs. Anderson "Basebrawl" main event, rain delay during show, Brown honored
Jun 12, 2011 - 12:41:12 AM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
TNA "Basebrawl" house show results
June 11, 2011
Memphis, Tenn. at Autozone Park
Report by Hunter McBride, PWTorch reader
(1) TV champion Eric Young beat Robbie E. Eric made the stipulation that if he wins, more free backstage passes will be handed out. (I never saw any get passed out.) EY won this one. The Redbirds mascot was ringside with Young and danced with Robbie, who sold that he thought it was his girl. Good opening and fun for the fans.
(2) Velvet Sky beat Angelina Love. Quick match. Velvet picked up the win with a roll-up. Before the show, $10 got a picture with Velvet.
(3) Kazarian beat Matt Hardy. Fast, back-and-forth match pitting the V1 and F4 hand signs. Kaz picked up the win here.
(4) A.J. Styles & Brother Devon beat Bully Ray & Tommy Dreamer. Good match; nothing special, but this was Dreamer's last match in TNA.
Jeff Jarrett vs. Kurt Angle was turned into a tag team match with Jarrett and Steiner and Angle and Morgan.
(5) Kurt Angle & Matt Morgan beat Jeff Jarrett & Scott Steiner.Angle slapped the anklelock on Jarrett for the win. Overall, a good, but somewhat slow match. Angle didn't take big risks and his leg was taped up.
Next was the TNA World Title main event with Sting vs. Mr. Anderson. Huge heat for Anderson with a pro-Sting Memphis crowd. Anderson grabbed mic to trash Sting and he promised a new World's champion Sunday night at Slammiversary. Sting came out to a huge ovation from the fans. Sting high-fived fans and grabbed a mic. He said this is his home; it's where Sting was born and he loves Memphis.
(6) TNA World Hvt. champion Sting beat Mr. Anderson. Back-and-forth action, mainly. There was a brief moment where they left the ring to brawl outside on the baseball grass. (By the way, the grass was wet from a storm that passed through and shut down the show in a "rain delay" for about 15 minutes.) They re-entered the ring with Anderson taking control. The finish was Anderson going for his finisher, but Sting countered into a Scorpion Death Drop for the win. Huge reaction for Sting.
Bonus during the show: Dave Brown, who commented on Memphis wrestling 35 year, was honored on "Dave Brown Appreciation Night." Great man and a great thing to see.
The show ended with a huge fireworks display and, for $20, fans could meet and take pictures with Sting.
I've been to WWE house shows and TNA blows them out of the water with fan interaction. Great show and set-up for the PPV on Sunday.
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**