Arena Reports 5/21 ROH in Chicago: "Supercard of Honor" results - complete coverage of Edwards vs. Strong for ROH Title, Corino's "sponsor" revealed
May 21, 2011 - 11:40:10 PM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
ROH "Supercard of Honor" results
May 21, 2011
Report by Mike Wilkinson, PWTorch VIP member
Preshow: Jim Cornette covered the big news of the day with ROH being sold. Also announced was the first TV taping will be held in Chicago on August 13.
(1) Homicide beat Michael Elgin (w/Truth Martini) in 9:00. Homicide won with the Ace Crusher. Serviceable opener, but a tad slow at times.
(2) Adam Cole & Kyle O'Reilly beat the Bravado Brothers in 10:00. Great tag match. O'Reilly really stood out.
Jimmy Jacobs was revealed as Steve Corino's sponsor and then cut a promo asking to return to ROH.
(3) Mike Bennett beat Steve Corino with a piledriver. The match went about ten minutes and had a lot of comedy spots.
(4) El Generico beat Chris Hero. At 11:00, Hero had an apparent pinfall, but because Hero had his feet on the ropes, the match was restarted. Generico quickly hit the half-and-half suplex for the win.
(5) Davey Richards beat ROH tag champion Charlie Haas in 19:00. Absolutely awesome match. Both guys worked stiff throwing lots of kicks. A lot of chain wrestling. The pinfall came after a super-stiff kick to the back of the head. Great crowd heat as well.
Coming out of the intermission, there was a 10-bell salute and moment of silence for Larry Sweeney and Randy Savage. The entire locker room was ringside.
(6) ROH tag champion Shelton Benjamin beat Claudio Castagnoli. Claudio dominated on offense for the bulk of the match, but Shelton got the pin after an overhead suplex from the top rope. Afterward, the WGTT and Kings of Wrestling brawled in the ring.
(7) Colt Cabana beat Christopher Daniels in 9:00. After the match, Truth Martini tried to attack Colt, but Steve Corino made the save. Then, the entire House of Truth beat down Corino.
(8) Briscoe Brothers beat All Night Express in a Chicago Street Fight in 21:00. The finish came after a Doomsday Device. Bloody, intense brawl. Absolutely a phenomenal match.
(9) ROH World champion Eddie Edwards beat Roderick Strong via submission to retain the ROH World Title. Great match, absolutely fantastic, and 24 minutes-long.
After the match, the House of Truth attacked Eddie, but Davey Richards made the save. Afterward, Eddie cut a promo saying he wants to fight Davey to prove to himself he's better. Eddie said if Davey won't fight him, he will quit ROH. Davey accepted. They shook hands and the show ended.
Tremendous card. Catch it on DVD, you won't be disappointed.
[Jacobs art credit Marco D'Alfonso (c) PWTorch.com]
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**