Arena Reports 3/18 ROH in Plymouth, Mass.: Radican's complete real-time coverage of ROH's "Defy or Deny" live show
Mar 18, 2011 - 11:02:30 PM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
Ring of Honor "Defy or Deny" report
March 18, 2011
Report by Sean Radican, PWTorch columnist
(a) Andy Ridge and his partner won a pre-show match that was fun while it lasted.
-- Mike Bennett interrupted Bobby Cruise and said he would beat Daniels tonight for the TV Title. Bennett then began trash-talking Corino. Corino came out to a nice reception. He put over Daniels and said he once wanted to be like him. Corino told Bennett not to be overconfident. Bennett made fun of him for teaming with Redwood. Corino told him if he had Redwood's heart he would be champion by now. Corino told him he could try to be a big star or bust his ass in front of the great fans here.
Bennett said he didn't need the fans because he's the prodigy. Corino told Bennett to be honorable tonight. Corino told Bennett he might fall off the path to recovery. Bennett said Corino was weak. Brutal Bob got mad and Corino went at it with them. Corino got the upper hand and they bailed. Corino promised to beat up Corino and said he might fall out of his recovery in NYC tomorrow.
(1) Mark Briscoe beat Kyle O'Reilly. This was a fantastic opening match. Mark won with a frogsplash elbow drop. (***1/4)
(2) All Night Express (Rhett Titus & Kenny King) beat Steve Corino & Grizzly Redwood. Corino is doing his best not to do evil things to Titus. Long heat on Corino until Redwood got the hot tag and ran wild. King and Titus win after a backbreaker knee drop combo on Redwood after Corino accidentally clotheslined him. This was solid. Redwood bailed on Corino after the match. (**1/4)
The new Embassy is out with Tomasso Ciampa. Nana says the Red Sox are only good for cleaning the jizzm.
(3) Tomasso Ciampa beat Adam Cole. Nana and Mia are enjoying Tomasso's early success. Holy crap, Mia Yim just superkicked the hell out of Cole on the outside for a big pop. That surprised the crowd. Cole finally making a comeback with some nice kicks. He went for a springboard but Ciampa shoved Osiris in the way. Cole followed up with a slingshot German into the apron on the outside. Cole had the pin after a nasty backbreaker, but Nana distracted the ref. Ciampa hit an even nastier powerbomb after a low blow for the pin. Awesome match. (***1/2)
Big crowd here tonight of around 500-550. A return for September 16 was announced.
(4) ROH tag champion Chris Hero beat T.J. Perkins. There were some great exchanges early in the match with TJP catching Hero in a couple of arm submissions. Hero fired back and taunted TJP, who fired back, but Hero shoved him right down to the mat. TJP fired back with a suicide dive and then an octopus submission but Hero got the ropes. This was fantastic. TJP hit an insane kick, but Hero caught him with a kick and an elbow for the pin. (***1/2)
Intermission. The fans gave TJP a standing ovation after the match.
(5) Bravado Bros. beat Matt Taven & ???. Lance got the pin on Taven after rolling through a splash off the top. (*)
(6) Eddie Edwards beat Michael Elgin. Edwards, being local, got a huge pop coming out. Elgin dominated early but Edwards took control of the math and whipped Elgin into the barrier outside the ring. They did a spot where Edwards did Kobashi chops in the corner, but Elgin reversed it into rapid fire clotheslines in the corner.
The crowd is going nuts after Edwards hit a sliding kick on the apron onto Elgin who was hung upside down in the corner. Elgin just caught Edwards going for a moonsault to the outside and slammed him to the floor. The crowd is going nuts again after Edwards beat the 20 count. Edwards with Martini and Elgin in the Achilles lock! Edwards got the win with a cross-legged powerbomb and shouted out Strong. Awesome match (***3/4)
(7) ROH TV champion Christopher Daniels beat "The Prodigy" Mike Bennett to retain the TV Title. Huge ovation for Daniels coming out. The crowd is chanting "You can't wrestle" at Bennett. Daniels dominated the action early and threw some crotch chops at a small, but vocal group of Bennett supporters. Daniels went up top, but Bob tossed him to the mat when the ref couldn't see. Daniels haters are chanting "fallen talent." Bennett got the heat on Daniels who finally fired back with a flurry of offense. Bennett's offense isn't very exciting. Bob was interfering when Corino ran down and distracted Bennett. Daniels then hit the BME on Bennett for the pin. (**3/4)
Daniels was mad at Corino after the match, but Corino ended up giving him his title before leaving. Daniels really went at it verbally with one of the hecklers after the match inviting him to jump the barrier. They are serving alcohol.
(8) ROH tag champion Claudio Castagnoli . Richards dominated early and hit a tops to the outside, but Hagadorn grabbed his leg and Claudio nailed him with a running kick. Del Rey is much more enthusiastic for Castsgnoli compared to her demeanor during Hero's match. Could this be the start of a mega powers tribute angle?
Richards fired back after tons of outside interference and hot Castagnoli with a spinning DDT off the apron for a huge pop. There was a scary spot where everything just stopped. Davey was going for a superplex and both men spilled to the floor. Davey and Castagnoli are fine. Davey hit a series of kicks, but Claudio nails him with a big boot for a nearfall.
Castagnoli lifted Davey while in a triangle, climbed the ropes, and hit a super roll the dice for a huge pop. Wow was this awesome. Davey won with a SSP. Just an incredible match. Entire place on their feet at the end. (****1/4)
(9) ROH champ Roderick Strong beat Jay Briscoe, Homicide, and Generico in a "Defy or Deny" elimination match. Strong got on the mic and said he had beaten all of the men in the ring. He asked Homicide to work with him and Homicide agreed. Homicide and Strong worked over Jay for a long time until Homicide turned on Strong. Generico connected with a flip dive onto Strong and Homicide hit a tope con Hilo onto Jay.
Homicide eliminated first after a Jay Driller. Crowd going nuts for three way action between Syrong, Generico, and Jay. Strong just suplexed both men! Strong pins Jay after a falcon arrow. No more title shots for Jay.
Down to Strong and Generico. The four hour ROH shows are back! Strong beating the hell out of Generico, but he won't stay down. Elgin ran out and interfered and nailed Generico with a powerbomb. Strong hit a running kick and pinned Generico for the win. No more title shots for Generico. HOT beat down Generico after, but Wolves and Daniels made the save. (***1/4) This was a flat finish to what would have been a great match with a different ending.
Overall, this was a really good show with a lot of good matches. I recommend picking this up when the DVD is out.
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**