Arena Reports 3/4 PWG results in Reseda, Calif.: complete DDT4 tag tournament results - TNA tag team in finals, PWG Title match announced for next show
Mar 5, 2011 - 1:35:13 AM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
Pro Wrestling Guerrilla DDT4 tournament results
March 4, 2011
Report by Matt Massingham, PWTorch correspondent
PWG promoted an eight-team, seven-match tag tournament to determine the annual DDT4 tournament winners and the next challengers to PWG tag champions El Generico & Paul London.
(1) Young Bucks (Generation Me in TNA) beat Brandon Gatson & Willie Mack in a First Round tournament match. The Bucks hit a combination superkick on Mack for the win.
(2) American Wolves (Davey Richards & Eddie Edwards) beat RockNES Monsters (Johnny Goodtime & Johnny Yuma) in a First Round tournament match. The Wolves won with a powerbomb/lungblower combination into Edwards's Achilles lock submission finisher.
(3) ROH tag champions Kings of Wrestling (Chris Hero & PWG champion Claudio Castagnoli) beat the Cutler Brothers (Brandon & Dustin Cutler) in a First Round tournament match. KOW won with a pair of big kicks to the head.
(4) Kevin Steen & Akira Tozawa beat The Briscoes (Jay & Mark) in a First Round tournament match. Steenzowa won with a doomsday heel kick.
(5) Young Bucks (Generation Me in TNA) beat American Wolves (Davey Richards & Eddie Edwards) in a semi-final tournament match. Bucks won with a roll-up. After the match, Richards talked up Edwards and asked him to come back to PWG.
(6) Kevin Steen & Akira Tozawa beat ROH tag champions Kings of Wrestling (Chris Hero & PWG champion Claudio Castagnoli) in a semi-final tournament match. Hero missed with a moonsault and Tozawa pinned him with la magistral roll.
The result of the sixth tournament match set up Young Bucks (GenMe) vs. Steen & Tozawa in the DDT4 tournament finals.
- PWG announced Claudio Castagnoli (champion) vs. Joey Ryan (challenger) at the next PWG show on April 9. On cue, the first-ever Joey Ryan Invitational started with Ryan Taylor vs. Brian Cage.
(7a) Ryan Taylor beat Brian Cage in a Joey Ryan Invitational match. Taylor won with a flipping cravate.
(7b) "Pretty" Peter Avalon beat Ryan Taylor in a Joey Ryan Invitational match. Avalon won with a roll-up and hook of the tights.
(7c) Candace LaRae beat Peter Avalon in a Joey Ryan Invitational. Candace was next in the gauntlet match and Joey superkicked Avalon to give Candace the win, setting up Candace vs. Joey in the finals.
(7d) Joey Ryan beat Candace LaRae via submission to win the Joey Ryan Invitational. This was the latest installment of their years-long feud on PWG. Joey won with a superkick, then End Scene for the submission victory. Typical inter-gender match.
(8) Young Bucks (GenMe) beat Kevin Steen & Akira Tozawa to win the DDT4 tournament. GenMe won with the More Bang For Your Buck on both Steen and Tozawa. The fans didn't seem to be happy with the Bucks winning. (Lots of history with the Bucks holding the Tag Titles for nearly two years from mid-2008 to mid-2010 before Generico & London won the titles.)
After the match, the Bucks cut a heel promo saying they're coming for London & Generico after winning the tournament. They dedicated the win to TNA president Dixie Carter.
Upcoming title matches: PWG champion Claudio Castagnoli vs. Joey Ryan, PWG tag champions El Generico & Paul London vs. Young Bucks (GenMe).
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**