Arena Reports 1/29 PWG results in Los Angeles: Complete "virtual-time" coverage of PWG Title match, Kaval vs. Davey, Roberts retirement, Legends Battle Royal
Jan 30, 2011 - 3:26:24 AM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
Pro Wrestling Guerrilla show results
January 29, 2011
Los Angeles, Calif. at WrestleReunion
Report by Matt Massingham, PWTorch correspondent
It wouldn't be a PWG show unless it started late. The venue at the Airport Hilton Hotel was Standing Room Only with a packed crowd. There were about 200 more people compared to the ROH show on Friday night. Estimated crowd is about 1,000-1,200.
In the opening eight-person tag match, former TNA Knockout ODB was booked as a last-second replacement for Christina Von Eerie.
(1) Cedric Alexander & Brandon Gatson & Candice LeRae & Willie Mack beat ODB & "Pretty" Peter Avalon & Caleb Konley, "The Manscout" Jake Manning in an eight-person tag match.
(2) Mr. Águila beat Rey Bucanero with a moonsault in a special attraction match.
"Gregory" Shane Helms was out next to face Joey Ryan. Helms was greeted by "HBK" chants, playing up Helms's comments against Shawn Michaels on Twitter. Helms attempted a promo before the match.
(3) PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2010 winner Joey Ryan beat Shane Helms with the End Scene. The PWG crowd heeled on Helms throughout the match, which pretty much turned Joey face for one-night-only.
(4) Low-Ki (Kaval in WWE) beat Davey Richards with a double foot stomp off the top rope. They went about 20 minutes. Really good match. Best match thus far.
(5) Jake Roberts beat Sinn Bodhi (Kizarny in WWE) with a DDT in Roberts's advertised retirement match. Roberts looked rough and wrestled in a t-shirt. It was a quick five-to-six-minute match.
[Intermission. Yes, an intermission at 10:50 p.m. with three matches to go.]
(6) Roddy Piper eliminated Terry Funk to win the Legends Battle Royal. The match went nearly an hour back from intermission.
(7) Chris Hero beat Kevin Steen with a rolling elbow and a big boot. Unofficial Hero Elbow Strike Count - five.
(8) RockNES Monsters (Johnny Yuma & Johnny Goodtime) beat the Young Bucks (Generation Me in TNA), the Cutler Brothers (Brandon & Dustin Cutler), and the Fightin' Taylor Boys (Brian Cage-Taylor & Ryan Taylor) in a four-way tag match to qualify for the DDT4 tag tournament in March.
After the match, Kevin Steen hit the ring and gave Yuma the Steenalizer. Steen then cut a promo saying he doesn't care who his partner is for the DDT4 tag tournament because everyone will die.
(9) PWG champion Claudio Castagnoli beat El Generico to retain the PWG Title in the main event. Claudio retaine with the Neutralizer following a Ricola Bomb. After the match, Joey Ryan did a run-in to apparently set up the next title feud.
The marathon show started at 9:00 p.m. local time and ended at 1:35 a.m.
[Torch art credit Marco D'Alfonso (c) PWTorch.com]
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**