Arena Reports 9/25 WWE results in New York City at MSG: Bret Hart tribute night, Nexus vs. Harts - Raw announcer special referee, Street Fight main event
Sep 26, 2010 - 12:05:51 AM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
WWE Smackdown brand house show report
September 25, 2010
New York City at Madison Square Garden
Report by Mike Omansky, PWTorch reader
-- Excellent, unique house show with a very well-done Bret Hart tribute night. The “Smackdown” wrestlers had their working shoes on the whole night. Very rough crowd estimate: 10,000 (all lower and mid-level seats were sold; many upper seats were empty). The crowd was very hot the whole night and didn’t let up.
-- Bret Hart tribute notes: after the second match, Howard Finkel was introduced as the host of the evening for the Bret Hart tribute. Finkel promised a number of video look-backs at major Bret Hart matches at Madison Square Garden. There were four video tributes (a few minutes long each) after the second, third, fourth, and fifth matches.
Tributes shown in the Garden
-- Generic video on Hart’s career
-- MSG 1991 at Summerslam – Hart vs. Mr. Perfect
-- MSG 1994 at WrestleMania X – Hart vs. Yokozuna
-- MSG 1996 at Survivor Series – Hart vs. Steve Austin
(1) Kofi Kingston beat Intercontinental champion Dolph Ziggler in a non-title match. Kingston scored the pin with a flying kick. Good, solid opener. (**)
(2) WWE tag champions Drew McIntyre & Cody Rhodes beat Chris Masters & MVP to retain the WWE Tag Titles. Rhodes scored the pin with a neckbreaker on Masters. Solid action. (**)
(3) Alberto Del Rio beat Chavo Guerrero via submission with the armbar. (*1/2)
(4) Melina & Kelly Kelly beat Unified Divas champion Michelle McCool & Layla. For the finish, Hornswoggle ran out and distracted the heels allowing Melina to schoolboy Layla for the pin.
(5) Mark Henry beat Jack Swagger with the World's Strongest Slam for the pin. Really solid, back-and-forth, credible match. (**)
Next was the Bret Hart tribute. Howard Finkel first introduced guest Jerry Lawler, who was announced as special referee for the evening's featured tag match. Hart Dynasty came out, followed by Bret Hart.
Finkel gave Bret Hart the following gifts: Framed photos of Bret & Helen Hart, Bret with Owen Hart, and Bret with Stu Hart and his brothers. Also, a jersey from the N.Y. Rangers and Madison Square Garden customized for Bret with #10. The crowd broke into a "Thank you, Bret" chant.
Nexus then came out and offered Bret a chance to join them, and thus survive the evening. Bret wasn’t interested, which led to the six-man tag.
(6) Bret Hart & Hart Dynasty (Tyson Kidd & D.H. Smith) beat Nexus (Michael Tarver & Heath Slater & Justin Gabriel) in a six-man tag match with Jerry Lawler as special referee. The finish was Hart making Gabriel submit to the Sharpshooter, which drew a huge pop from the crowd.
Overall, Bret was over big. He was in early on offense, had a second appearance in the middle of the match predominantly working with Slater, and was tagged in to get the submission (with the tag itself getting a huge pop). It was the best match of the night. Everyone was solid, but the focus was on Bret. The crowd chanted, “We want Bret,” several times when others were having trouble with Nexus.
After the bout, Nexus attacked and threw out Lawler and were trying to corner Bret three-on-one. Bret held them off, Lawler recovered, and the two faces beat up Nexus. One of the biggest pops of the night was for Lawler when he came off of the second rope. The crowd popped again for Bret when he slapped on a second sharpshooter. Overall, it was just so very well done, and made this a special Garden house show, as opposed to another “whistle stop” on the tour. (***1/2)
(7) Big Show beat C.M. Punk. Show won with a chokeslam, KO punch, and scored the pin. Another good match, with some offense by Punk prior to his destined demise.
(8) World Hvt. champion Kane beat The Undertaker to retain the World Hvt. Title in a No DQ New York Street Fight. Kane won clean with a simple chokeslam. The match was adequate (no here near the Hart match or even some of the others), and Undertaker looked weak. Kane dominated. The ending came almost out of nowhere. After the bout, Undertaker tried to attack Kane, who escaped. (*)
The next show announced was a Smackdown house show at the Izod Center in the Meadowlands on Thursday, Dec. 30. Tickets go on-sale Saturday, Oct. 2.
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**