Arena Reports 7/30 PWG results in Reseda, Calif.: Complete real-time coverage of PWG anniversary show - Bryan Danielson, GenMe, Davey Richards vs. Chris Hero
Jul 31, 2010 - 2:45:13 AM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
Pro Wrestling Guerrilla "Seven"
July 30, 2010
Report by Matt Massingham, PWTorch West Coast contributor
PWG had a Standing Room Only crowd for their seventh-anniversary show. The claimed attendance was 500 fans and they reportedly had to turn away upwards of 100 fans at the door. In typical PWG fashion, the show started one hour late at 9:00 p.m. PST.
(1) Brandon Gatson & Johnny Goodtime & Candice LeRae beat Malachi "CK" Jackson & Ryan Taylor & Peter Avalon in a six-person tag match. Candice pinned Malachi Jackson (brother of the Young Bucks) after hitting a moonsault.
(2) Brandon Bonham beat Brian Cage with the Canadian Destroyer. Very strong match that got Cage over.
(3) Akira Tozawa beat Chris Sabin. Tozawa won with a pair of German Suplexes. Sabin was originally scheduled to team with Alex Shelley in a TNA tag champions vs. PWG tag champions match, but Shelley was scratched from the card with a reported knee injury.
(4) Scorpio Sky beat Scott Lost in Lost's retirement match. Surprising result with Sky going over. Before the match, fans threw purple and gold streamers into the ring for Lost, who is a noted Lakers fan. After the match, Lost gave a farewell speech noting he didn't want to wrestle past the age of 30, which is why he's retiring.
(5) Bryan Danielson beat Roderick Strong via submission in 15:00. Strong used a tie during the match, which fired up Danielson, used a tie himself. Danielson then forced a submission with the Crossface. During the match, the creative PWG fans acknowledged Danielson's WWE firing by chanting, "Cena got his f'n head kicked in" to the classic Danielson chant tune of "You're going to get your f'n head kicked in." This was followed by a chant of "(expletive) Michael Cole)."
(6) PWG champion Davey Richards beat Chris Hero via submission to retain the PWG Title. Richars won with the anklelock. Match of the night so far.
(7) PWG tag champions El Generico & Paul London beat Young Bucks (Generation Me in TNA) and the Cutler Brothers to retain the PWG Tag Titles in a Guerrilla Warfare match. The champs retained with Generico hitting a Turnbuckle Brainbuster on Nick Jackson (Jeremy Buck) for the pin. Typical spotfest of match, including unnecessary chair shots to the head. Apparently more education is needed. The show ended about half-an-hour past midnight locally.
Overall: Good show with the highlight being Scott Lost's last match and Richards vs. Hero being the Match of the Night. 8.5/10 overall for the show.
[Sabin art credit Marco D'Alfonso (c) PWTorch.com]
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**