Arena Reports 5/8 ROH in New York City: Tyler Black ROH Title defense, TNA's Machineguns challenge for ROH tag titles, Daniels, Awesome Kong
May 8, 2010 - 10:23:36 PM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
Ring of Honor "Supercard of Honor VIII" results
May 8, 2010
New York City at Hammerstein Ballroom
Report by Nick Gifford, PWTorch reader
Pre-show: Jim Cornette and the Motor City Machineguns signed autographs.
(1) The Briscoes beat Kenny King & Rhett Titus in a very solid opening match. King and Titus argued after the match due to King accidently nailing Titus with an enziguiri that led to the finish.
(2) Erik Stevens beat Grizzly Redwood in a short, boring match. After the match, Stevens, Ernie Osiris, and Prince Nana continued to beat on Redwood, which led to Balls Mahoney making the save to a nice pop.
(3) SHIMMER match: Sara Del Rey beat Awesome Kong when Chris Hero gave her his loaded elbow pad to use.
(4) Christopher Daniels beat ROH TV champion Eddie Edwards in a non-title match in 20 minutes following the Best Moonsault Ever. Afterwards, Daniels told Edwards to let Davey Richards know he's next.
Jim Cornette came out and thanked the fans. He announced that ROH will return to New York City on September 11 and his special guest will be Terry Funk.
(5) Austin Aries beat Delirious via DQ when Delirious refused to release a chokehold. Aries wrestled in a suit, saying something before the match about getting a manager's license. He tried to apologize by giving a white rose to Daizee and "Golden snack cakes" to Delirious, which weren't accepted, but the audience chanted for them anyways. Post-match, Kenny King and Rhett Titus hit the ring and the ganged up on Delirious and Haze.
In between matches, a guy got in the ring with a broom to sweep up the remains of the snack cake that was smashed. He kept getting back in the ring because he missed a spot. When he was done, the crowd chanted "Best in the world," a la Bryan Danielson, which he seemed to enjoy.
(6) Kevin Steen beat Colt Cabana in a New York City Last Man Standing Death match. It got very bloody, Cabana was put through a table, and Steen landed on thumbtacks. Steve Corino got involved and Steen won following a Crippler Crossface with a barbed wire bat across Cabana's face.
(7) ROH tag champions Kings of Wrestling (Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli) beat Motor City Machineguns (Chris Sabin & Alex Shelly) via DQ to retain the ROH tag titles. This was a great back-and-forth match that lasted a good 20 minutes. Lots of dueling chants and everyone was able to hit the signature moves. These two teams really have great chemistry and you won't see tag team wrestling like this ANYWHERE else. The end came when Hero was about to use the loaded elbow pad on Sabin, but the Briscoes ran out to attack Hero and Castagnoli, causing a DQ, which got them A LOT of heat. Excellent match aside from the finish.
(8) Main event: ROH World champion Tyler Black beat Roderick Strong to retain the ROH World Title. The crowd was very pro-Roddy. They brawled after the match and had to be separated.
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**