Arena Reports 2/12 WWE in Guayaquil, Ecuador: Undertaker vs. Batista, Chris Jericho vs. Rey Mysterio, Stand-out McCool vs. Phoenix match
Feb 13, 2010 - 12:26:06 AM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
WWE Smackdown/ECW house show report
February 12, 2010
Guayaquil, Ecuador at Coliseo Voltaire Paladines Polo
Report by Gregory Ayalao, Torch reader
The Coliseum was packed. Over 12,000 raving fans attended WWE's first visit in Guayaquil.
(1) Matt Hardy & R-Truth beat The Hart Dynasty (Tyson Kidd & D.H. Smith w/Natalya) in 13:00. First match of the night and the roof exploded with R-Truth's theme music. Great reception for Hardy also. Both teams played to the crowd throughout the match. Not much to say with the Dynasty playing the chicken heel perfectly. After Hardy took a hot tag, he hit the Twist of Fate on D.H. to end the match.
(2) Goldust beat Zack Ryder (w/Rosa Mendes) in 8:00. Goldust in Ecuador feels like 1996 again. Really sloppy match with Goldust visually tripping on two Irish whips. No offense by Ryder whatsoever. Curtain Call was a wrap for the win.
(3) Beth Phoenix beat Michelle McCool in 11:00. Wow, this was a great, great match. Really physical from bell-to-bell and they gave it their all. They seemed to take women's wrestling to a whole new level. I thought someone was going to get hurt, but thankfully that didn't appear to happen. Phoenix won with the Glam Slam for the win. Major heat for McCool.
(4) ECW champion Christian beat Ezekiel Jackson in 10:00 to retain the ECW Title. Christian was over HUGE. Jackson posed for the jeers of the crowd. Basic action here. Jackson is a monster, I tell ya. The match lasted ten minutes and Christian was pretty much decimated for the first 9:30. Christian hit the Killswitch and that's all she wrote.
(5) Kane beat C.M. Punk (w/Luke Gallows) in 8:00. Punk is a Class A heel. Most people were cheering for Punk, but that ended with a promo in SpanGlish talking about how he doesnt like cerveza (beer), drogas (drugs), and Ecuador. Kane interrupted and had an entertaining match with Punk. Luke Gallows was there also playing sidekick but that wasn't enough. Chokeslam and win for Kane.
(6) Intercontinental champion Drew McIntyre beat John Morrison in 9:00 to retain the Intercontinental Title. After a 15-minute intermission, we had an IC Title match. Drew drew (heh) no heat. He just seems bland right now. He brought a piece of paper with him and said something in Spanish that our women are ugly and that we are ill-mannered. Yay. Women love Morrison, no surprise here. Drew delivered a stiff shot to Morrison's face that left one of his cheeks bruised. Schoolboy, feet on the ropes, and Drew retains.
(7) Rey Mysterio beat Chris Jericho in 15:00. Rey received the pop of the night. Jericho is just awesome in everything he does. He drew TREMENDOUS heat and he really seemed to enjoy the reaction that he was getting from the fans. He speaks perfect Spanish also. He said something about Mysterio being a flea and that we are gelatinous tapeworms and such. Match started slowly with Jericho playing chicken, then the match got interesting. Match of the night by far. Mysterio reversed a Walls of Jericho, hit the 619, and scored the pin. He played to the crowd and had them in the palm of his hand. Crowd was asking for a speech, but we never got one.
(8) World Hvt. champion The Undertaker beat Batista in 20:00 to retain the World Hvt. Title. What a difference a year makes. Last year at WrestleMania, Taker had a match for the ages with Shawn Michaels and now he looks so tired and it's hard for him to keep the pace of a match. Obviously Undertaker was the man (mostly) everybody paid to see, but Mysterio still got a bigger pop. Awful, Awful match here. Those 20 minites sure felt like an eternity. Crowd was dead except for a brief "Un-der-ta-ker clap clap clap" chant. A Tombstone ended the match and sent the crowd home happy.
Overall a decent show, and I hope Raw can come here someday.
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**