Arena Reports 8/19 PWG in Hollywood, Calif.: Quick Results with Joe vs. Dragon, Kazarian's return, Daniels, Steen
Aug 20, 2005 - 6:59:00 AM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
By James Caldwell, Torch Columnist
Pro Wrestling Guerilla presents: "Smells Like Steen Spirit"
August 19, 2005
Hollywood, California at the Los Feliz JCC
Report by James Caldwell, Torch Columnist
Here are the quick results from Friday's show with full results to be posted later this weekend.
(1) Top Gun Talwar & Hook Bomberry defeated Disco Machine & Ronin at 14:55 when Hook forced Ronin to tap out to an inverted Dragon Sleeper.
(2) Scott Lost defeated Charles Mercury at 10:26 when Mercury tapped out to the Sharpshooter.
(3) Joey Ryan defeated Rocky Romero at 14:53 with a roll up after using a chair. Joey had amazing heel heat and the crowd was into every second of this match.
(4) Davey Richards & Aaron "Hardkore Kidd" Aguilera defeated TJ "Puma" Perkins & Alex Shelley at 20:55 when Richards pinned Perkins following a double underhook piledriver. Richards and Perkins shook hands after the match.
(5) Kevin Steen defeated Quicksilver at 19:50 to retain the PWG Title. Steen won with the Steenalizer - cradle package into overhead toss straight into the middle turnbuckle - in his first PWG Title defense.
(6) Christopher Daniels defeated Chris Bosh at 18:45 in a non-title X Division match. The finish came when Daniels rolled up Bosh and hooked the tights for the victory.
(7) Human Tornado & El Generico defeated Frankie Kazarian & Petey Williams at 19:33. Kazarian returned to PWG as Chris Sabin's replacement after Sabin went down with a serious jaw injury at Tuesday's Impact tapings in Orlando. Kazarian played along with all of the rumors surrounding his departure from WWE, even telling El Generico, "You aren't going anywhere in this business if you don't cut that hair." Good comedy match with Petey Williams showing a different dimension to his character.
(8) Samoa Joe defeated Super Dragon at 13:15 with the Muscle Buster. Flashes of intensity from Joe, but Dragon stalled for most of the match. The finish was botched and led to an awkward exchange to finish the match.
Quick Thoughts: The mix of local PWG regulars with national indy stars worked well to give the regulars some exposure in prominent match-ups. PWG's August 6 show was absolutely great and this show was simply good with solid effort from everyone. It was nice to see many of the wrestlers stepping up in new and potentially challenging roles. Joe-Dragon was a let down in the main event.
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**