PWTORCH EXCLUSIVES PWTORCH FRIDAY BRUNCH 10/5: Today's top items, commentary, history (Pillman dies, Kane debuts), more
Oct 5, 2012 - 12:00:45 AM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
By James Caldwell, PWTorch assistant editor
A Monday, Wednesday, Friday snapshot of the day in pro wrestling. Today is Friday, October 5...
YESTERDAY: "Main Event" TV ratings came in satisfying to WWE and Ion. King Mo debuted on TNA Impact shoving down Bobby Roode. Video of Austin-Punk "WWE '13" Summit was released online, then pulled. And, Hulk Hogan split time prepping for Impact and threatening legal action over The Tape.
TODAY: Smackdown TV features Punk in his third TV main event of the week, plus continuation of Tag Tournament. Raw kicks off weekend tour in Washington with four "main events," highlighted by Punk vs. Show in steel cage. (If you're wondering about Ryback, he's scheduled for the Smackdown tour facing Jinder Mahal.) TNA tours Arkansas with top stars in action. FWE has another packed iPPV on WWNLive.com and Steen vs. Hardy in N.C. happens on Highspots.TV .
WEEKEND: All hands on-deck for WWE tours with Cena injured and Orton filming a movie. TNA continues pre-BFG tour in Arkansas. ROH champ Kevin Steen vs. Jay Lethal for the ROH Title in Lethal's home market. Batista makes his MMA debut against veteran fighter on DirecTV PPV and BautistaMMA.com .
LIVECAST: PWTorch editor Wade Keller hosts Interview Friday. Listen for an interview with Tara as part of TNA talk on today's show at 5:30 p.m. EST on BlogTalkRadio.com .
- Not sure what to make of TNA's thought process with Bound for Glory hype. Aries vs. Hardy needs about three months to flesh out issue TNA started four weeks before the PPV main event, Storm vs. Roode was hot-enough to not need a third party, and Aces & Eights opposite gullible TNA authority figures continues to limp into the PPV. It's a star-driven business, yet TNA has decided not to reveal A&E individuals until the actual PPV. And, without a 10-10-10 "hook" like two years ago, something is missing. Summer TV ratings show lack of growth during Aces & Eights angle, so strategy to bank on "A&E brand" to help sell PPV match isn't backed up by the numbers.
- Poll Result: Last night's TNA Impact was... About the same (59%), Worse Than Usual (29%), Better Than Usual (20%)
- Poll Result II: When Jeff Hardy's TNA contract expires, he should ... Return to WWE (57%), Re-sign with TNA (28%), Retire from pro wrestling (12%), Wrestle on independents (4%).
- 15 years ago today: Brian Pillman was found dead in a Minnesota hotel the night after a WWF house show in St. Paul, Minn. Opening paragraph of PWTorch Newsletter Cover Story: "Sunday afternoon, Oct. 5 just past 1 p.m., Brian Pillman was found dead in his hotel room in Bloomington, Minn. The toxicology report is not back yet, but preliminary reports indicate he died of a heart attack due to a congenital defect. His father died at age 50 of a heart attack when Pillman was only three months old. The stress of his personal and professional life, his physical problems, and his lifestyle may all have contributed to the degeneration of his heart, half of which was diseased at the time of his death, which left him susceptible to a heart attack at such a young age. Pillman was 35."
- 15 years ago today: Kane debuted as The Undertaker's brother at the "In Your House: Bad Blood" PPV, mere hours after Pillman was found dead. In the PPV main event, Shawn Michaels defeated Undertaker in a 30-minute Hell in a Cell match following Kane's interference.
- 10 years ago today: Triple H beat RVD in the main event of a WWE house show. Also, Jericho over Hardy.
- 10 years ago today: In a split-brand WWE house show, Angle over Rikishi in a Kiss My Ass main event. Also, Brock Lesnar over Edge to retain the WWE Title.
- 10 years ago today: ROH in Philadelphia with Christopher Daniels over Doug Williams in the main event. Also, Low-Ki over Samoa Joe and Jay Briscoe over ROH champ Xavier in a non-title match.
- 10 years ago today: IWA in Clarksville, Ind. with Jerry Lynn over C.M. Punk, plus M-Dogg 20 (Matt on 2011 WWE Tough Enough) over Chris Hero to win the IWA Title. Lots of Punk & Hero footage on the new C.M. Punk DVD due out soon.
- And, finally, NFL Week 5 Picks: Bengals over Dolphins, Packers over Colts, Ravens over Chiefs, Giants over Browns, Steelers over Eagles, Falcons over Redskins, Panthers over Seahawks, Bears over Jags, Vikings over Titans, Patriots over Broncos, 49ers over Bills, Saints over Chargers. Monday Night Pick in the Monday Brunch, but you already know...
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**