WWE News WWE NEWS: Raw TV quarter-hour ratings - Punk-Heyman tease draws big audience leading into Summerslam, Cena-Bryan promo exchange even with Battle Royal, more
Aug 18, 2013 - 12:41:28 PM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
By James Caldwell, PWTorch assistant editor
The tease of C.M. Punk vs. Paul Heyman at the end of Monday's Raw drew in WWE's biggest audience of the past three months. Whether it translates to Summerslam PPV buys for Punk vs. Brock Lesnar and the rest of the card remains to be seen.
Raw's over-run segment produced a 2.63 rating (1.647 million viewers) in the key male demographic of males 18-49. This topped the previous high-mark of the last three months - a 2.53 over-run rating on the July 15 episode following the Money in the Bank PPV.
Included was Raw's peak viewership of 1.778 million m18-49 viewers at 11:12 p.m. for the conclusion of the Punk-Lesnar brawl after Heyman avoided facing Punk in a match.
- Following Punk-Heyman in the rankings, the final promo exchange between John Cena and Daniel Bryan for Summerslam and the #1 contender U.S. Title battle royal matched each other.
Cena-Bryan averaged 1.520 million viewers over the course of 18 minutes in the desirable top-of-the-third hour timeslot. Included was peak viewership of 1.638 million viewers at 10:14 p.m.
Later, the U.S. Title battle royal averaged 1.572 million viewers. Included was peak viewership of 1.675 million viewers at 10:50 p.m. near the conclusion of the match.
Overall, the combination of Punk-Heyman, Cena-Bryan, and the battle royal helped make Raw's final hour the second-most-watched third hour since April. And give WWE momentum heading into Summerslam.
Overall Show Break Down in Males 18-49 Demo
- OVERALL: Raw scored a 2.05 m18-49 rating and averaged 1.283 million m18-49 viewers
- Q1: Raw opened with a show-low 1.61 rating for an immediate jump into the ring for Daniel Bryan vs. Wade Barrett, plus one commercial. By comparison, Bryan's show-opening "corporate make-over" segment last week scored a 2.02 rating in Q1.
- Q2: Raw stayed at a 1.63 rating for Randy Orton vs. Damien Sandow and one commercial.
- Q3: Raw jumped to a 1.82 rating for the finish of Orton-Sandow, which produced a stair-step increase from Q1 & Q2, plus two full commercial breaks.
- Q4: Raw was flat with a 1.81 rating for the Mixed Tag Botch Match, plus one full commercial break.
- Q5: Raw jumped to a 2.19 rating at the top of the second hour for McMahon Family Drama involving Mr. McMahon and Triple H, one commercial, and Kane vs. Titus O'Neil. The rest of the hour steadily dropped off from here.
- Q6: Raw dropped to a 2.05 rating for the first-half of World champion Alberto Del Rio vs. Kofi Kingston and one commercial.
- Q7: Raw slipped again to a 2.01 rating for the end of Del Rio-Kingston, one commercial, various non-wrestling segments, and half of a commercial.
- Q8: Raw fell below the 2.0-mark with a 1.99 rating for The Real Americans vs. The Usos and one-and-a-half commercials leading to the top of the hour.
Overall during Raw's second hour, there was tremendous channel-flipping between Raw and "American Pickers" on History Channel. During the hour, a total of 253,000 viewers came over to Raw from Pickers and a total of 247,000 viewers left to Pickers.
- Q9: Raw jumped to a 2.37 rating for the first-half of the Cena-Bryan promo exchange. During this segment, Raw gained a chunk of viewers from "South Park."
- Q10: Raw fell to a 2.10 rating for the conclusion of Cena-Bryan, Fandango vs. R-Truth, and two full commercial breaks.
- Q11: Raw was even with a 2.11 rating for the first-half of the #1 contender U.S. Title battle royal and two full commercial breaks packed into the segment.
- Q12: Raw jumped to a 2.35 rating for the finish of the U.S. Title battle royal and one final commercial.
- Over-Run: Raw jumped to a 2.63 rating for the Heyman-Punk tease that turned into another Punk-Lesnar fight to conclude Raw. At the start of the over-run, Raw got a chunk of viewers from FX's Monday night movie and other programming that wrapped up at 11:00 EST.
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**