THE SPECIALISTS CHIVERTON'S NXT SCOUTING REPORT: Latest Rankings & Evaluation of WWE's Developmental roster
Feb 15, 2013 - 1:10:10 PM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
WWE NXT Rankings & Evaluation
By George Chiverton, PWTorch NXT specialist
Latest NXT Rankings
(1) Bray Wyatt (-)
(2) Kassius Ohno (-)
(3) Paige (-)
(4) Corey Graves (-)
(5) Bronson (-)
(6) Jake Carter (-)
(7) Big E. Langston (-)
(8) Richie Steamboat (-)
(9) Bo Dallas (-)
(10) The Ascension (-)
(11) Jason Jordon (-)
(12) Leo Kruger (-)
Waiting List - Luke Harper, Nemo Montenegro, Xavier Woods, Sasha Banks, Luke Harper, Rowan, Adrian Neville, Oliver Grey.
2/6 NXT Episode Evaluation
- The week opened with Oliver Grey and Adrian Neville taking on Leo Kruger and Kassius Ohno in the semi-finals of the NXT Tag Title tournament. The match showcased Grey more than Neville, which seemed to frustrate the audience a tadge, but I was very impressed with the Englishman's style. His mat work and basic technical abilities are absolutely superb with Regal-esque chain wrestling showcasing his training in Europe. Perhaps it was not for everyone, but I lapped it up. Perhaps if WWE doesn't work out (although I'm sure it will) he'll have a place at the new Wrestling is Art promotion, as he seems to be exactly the talent they'd be interested in.
The match saw a slow heel offensive march by Ohno and Kruger leading to the inevitable hot tag to Neville. There were enough close tags to keep some momentum in the match, although perhaps the hot tag could have come two minutes sooner as the crowd was a little burnt out by the time Adrian hit the ring. That was until Ohno kicked Neville's face off. However, Kassius then chose to goad Regal instead of capitalizing, leading to the 360 shooting star press by Neville for the win. Overall, the match didn't really kick into gear until it was a little too late.
- Backstage was Paige-assaulter Summer Rae, who claimed she was pretty. No arguments there. She said Paige was not. Arguments there. Apparently 'Summer School's always in session.' Catchy.
- Mike Dalton (whose been away a while on NXT) was out to get squashed by Conor O'Brian. There is something awkward about O'Brian and when he performed a leg drop to win the match I laughed out loud. Has he not seen every worst finisher list ever made? O'Bruan then impersonated Big E. to promote their title match. Big E. came out and O'Brian stayed to watch Dalton take Langston's finisher. Nice to see restraint on the physicality although a match-up between the two cartoonish characters may come off laughable rather than serious.
- Backstage, Paige tore up a promo about wanting to face Summer Rae, shouting in poor Dusty Rhodes's face. She finished with make it happen next week on NXT or there won't be an NXT. Nice line, which suggested a potential partnership with Corey Graves. I like.
- A highlight video was played of NXT at the Rumble Fanfest that was well-narrated by Scott Stanford. I'm not sure how to feel about this. Although it was a fun package, with the Win / Loss aspect of the tournament strongly emphasized, it showed the likes of Adrian Neville, Oliver Grey, and Luke Harper losing relatively quickly which doesn't make sense considering the tag finals which are approaching. Also, Bo Dallas wears hoop earrings. Yeah.
- Backstage, Bo Dallas ran into Bray Wyatt, who was creepy as hell. The brothers brought the best out of each other, which for Bo was the first good exchange I've seen him engage in. Oh, and anything with Bray has my vote.
- The other tag semi-final match was next with the Wyatt Family taking on Michael McGillicutty and Bo Dallas. In the early stages, Harper acted his deranged character utterly perfectly while on defense and offense with odd movements and stares breaking up his powerful moveset. McGillicutty eventually came in off the hot tag and had the crowd going crazy. He hit some crisp reversals before a Bray Wyatt distraction allowed Harper to hit a massive discuss lariat for the win. Yes, I wrote lariat; let's not fight about it.
- The post-match saw Bray attempt to recruit Bo. When Bo rejected him, Bray hit a huge splash in the corner before dancing with his brother around the ring. He hit his finisher (reminiscent of the Knox Out by Mike Knox) and left the ring. Chilling and awesome and justification for why he's my number one choice. Nice to see him back in the ring.
That's all for this week but check back in next week for more of whatever this is.
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**