Arena Reports SHOW RESULTS - 12/27 WWE at MSG: First Report on Cena vs. Ziggler steel cage, Heyman faces Ryback, Shield stars of the show
Dec 28, 2012 - 12:38:22 AM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
WWE Raw house show results
December 27, 2012
New York City at Madison Square Garden
Report by Mike Omansky, PWTorch correspondent
- The crowd was large, but not sold out; estimate 14,000-15,000 range. They were into the show.
- The next event is the Hall of Fame in April. Tickets were on-sale at the Garden box office for one hour after the show; otherwise, online presale using password “FAMOUS.”
Vickie Guerrero came out to start the show. She announced that the semi-main event, Paul Heyman vs. Ryback, would be a N.Y. Street Fight. Also, the main event would be Dolph Ziggler vs. John Cena in a steel cage.
(1) New Age Outlaws (Billy Gunn & Jesse James) beat Cody Rhodes & Damien Sandow in a solid opener. Gunn pinned Rhodes with a Famouser. Entertaining match – mix of good wrestling moves with playing to the crowd. Outlaws were well-received by Garden crowd. (*1/2)
(2) Brodus Clay (w/Cameron and Naomi) beat David Otunga with a splash and pin in under five minutes. (Dud)
Jack Swagger then came out; he said how bad Clay is, then challenged him to an immediate match. Clay accepted.
(3) Brodus Clay beat Jack Swagger with a big splash and pin in about a minute. (Squash)
(4) Divas champion Eve Torres beat Kaitlyn with a neckbreaker and pin to retain the Divas Title. (1/2*)
(5) Santino Marella beat Tensai with the Cobra and pin in a "Loser Sings a Christmas Song” match. A lot of Santino comedy along the way; Tensai dominated for a while with power, but fell victim to the Cobra.
After the match, Vickie came out and ordered Tensai to sing “Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer," which was the song that Garden fans voted for (by texting). At first, Tensai protested that he didn’t know the words and was Jewish, then sang the song. Very funny delivery.
(6) The Shield beat The Miz & WWE tag champions Daniel Bryan & Kane in an excellent six-man tag. Shield initially dominated, then it went back and forth. Finally, the three members triple powerbombed Miz, who was pinned by Reigns. Excellent action throughout; Shield was very impressive with their attacks, and of course Ambrose’s facial expressions. (***1/4)
(7) The Usos beat Prime Time Players with a simultaneous leap off the top ropes on both men and pin. (1/2*)
(8) U.S. champion Antonio Cesaro beat Zack Ryder with the Neutralizer and pin to retain the U.S. Title. Cesaro dominated. Ryder got his flurry, but he was subdued in the end. (1/2*)
Semi-main event time. Paul Heyman was out first. He talked about the history of Madison Square Garden's boxing and other sports, then wrestling. He said the greats of the past ("Superstar" Billy Graham, Bruno Sammartino, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, etc.) could all kiss his ass.
(9) Ryback beat Paul Heyman via pin in a N.Y. Street Fight. When the bell rang to start the match, Heyman leaped from the ring, and The Shield ran down to attack Ryback three on one. Shield put a table in the corner of the ring. However, at that point, with Ryback down, Kane, Bryan, and Miz came out to battle Shield, and they all fought back to the dressing room. Heyman then tried to pick up the downed Ryback, who recovered, lifted him, walked around, slammed him, and pinned him. After the match, he picked up Heyman and rammed him through the table that was still there. (**) for mayhem and excitement – this was excellent!
(10) John Cena beat Dolph Ziggler (w/A.J. & Big E. Langston) in a terrific steel cage match that went about 25 minutes. This included the usual failed climb-out attempts by both/near misses. Three times Langston stopped Cena from exiting the cage. The Finish: ref bumped, then Langston comes in the ring and attacks Cena. A.J. comes in and acts crazy as the two in the match are trying to get up. Langston holds Cena while Ziggler delivers a kick, but Cena ducks and Langston gets the kick. The ref recovers as Cena does the Attitude Adjustment and pin. Overall, 60/40 crowd on Cena (60 against/40 for, the edge going to boos.) (***1/2)
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**